Saturday, September 20, 2014

Day 20 - Dystonia and Having Fun

As I write this, I have just gotten home from a fun-filled, jammed-packed day. I am exhausted (but in a good way)!!! I live 24/7 with dystonia, but that doesn't mean that I can't have days like today where it was put on the back burner. Oh, I could tell it was there, I just didn't give it any credence. I do wonder though if having it/dealing with it does contribute to how exhausted I get after events like today. But, I don't care...today was fun and that's all there is to it. :)

I realized earlier in the week that I had quadruple booked myself for different things going on today: I had committed myself to working at UT (University of Tennessee) hospital from 1-7pm. I had been invited to a cook-out, an Oktoberfest and our church had its fall festival. While, I would have loved to do all of those things, I ended up only doing two. I had signed up to work at UT months before anything else came up on my calendar, so I knew I would keep that appointment (plus, it didn't hurt that I got paid!). My church's fall festival is near and dear to my heart. I absolutely love it and knew that I wanted to participate in it any way I could. That meant I had to miss the cook-out and the Oktoberfest. I am so sorry Josh, Sarah, Brian and Whitney!! The church's fall festival was from 10am-2pm and I had to be at UT hospital from 1-7pm.

The fall festival was awesome!! I had so much fun. Because of my dystonia, I can't get around all that well, so last year I was given the perfect job for me: driving the riding lawnmower-led train!!! This year, I got to continue the tradition. I can't tell you how much fun I have doing this. It's simply one of the greatest things. The kids LOVE it!!! I was only bummed that I couldn't stay the entire time. BUT - I did get 2 and 1/2 hours and 3 miles of driving in. Yes, only 3 miles in 2 and 1/2 hours :) I love seeing the smile on the kids' faces when they are riding the train. It melted my heart too when my friend, Carrie told me that her little girl, Brennan, got giddy with excitement when she saw I was the one driving the train. I love that little girl (and her Mom, Dad and siblings too!). My friend, Gail introduced me to a friend of hers from Florida with whom she had shared my blog. Her friend said she enjoyed reading it. And then Larry came up to me and said that he also reads this blog and then passes it on to his wife to read. I really had NO IDEA people actually read what I write. It makes me so happy - thank you all!!

Here's the only picture I got today - it's terrible :) But oh well, it'll do.

So after my friend, Tina graciously took over my driving-the-train duties, I left for my "job" at UT Hospital. It's not really a job, it's more like I get paid to have fun. I "patient act". Well, that's what I call it. :) Basically, physicians come and take re-certification tests. There's a written part and then there's the practical part. This is where I come in. The doctors and nurses giving the exams ask people to come in and act like patients so that these doctors can visualize what they are having to do. It's all trauma situations. Today, I was a 19 year old male (haha- that was changed to female!) who had a head on collision and had been trapped in my car for 40 minutes before being sent to a rural hospital where they had to access me and then transfer me to a trauma 1 hospital for further treatment. We (the actors) get to wear scrubs and get "made-up" with all of our wounds. By the time that the day is done, I know my situation so well that I can tell if someone passed or failed the exam.


I'm teamed up with a doctor who is the one giving the exam. I was given a cool doctor to work with. He's a 2nd year resident in general surgery. He and I got along really well. In between the testing, we got to talk. I told him about dystonia (which he had heard of!) and he told me about his 5 month old baby girl. He was a lot of fun to talk to and kind of reminded me (looks-wise) of the actor, Zach Gilford who played Matt Saracen in the TV show Friday Night Lights.

The routine for the afternoon was that we had two practice rounds where two doctors came in and were able to practice the exam; with one being the primary doctor and the other observing and giving advice. Then we had two rounds of legitimate test takers, with one test taker in the room per time. We had a total of 4 practice rounds and 4 test taking rounds, each lasting about 10-15 minutes on average. I think each doctor was actually given around 30 minutes for the test taking, but most usually finished way before that. I had a blast acting! But, I also noticed that my dystonia flared up. I was supposed to be completely still, but my foot had other plans. Thankfully, no one noticed (or if they did, they didn't say anything!) The last time I did this patient acting, one of the doctors taking the exam noticed and said something and the doctor giving the exam had to tell him that wasn't part of the exam ;) I told him, it was my own issue, not the "acting patient's" issue. ;) So, it's always there - this dystonia - lurking.

Because of all the events today, I (unfortunately) got off my regular medication schedule. I usually take medicine first thing when I get up in the morning, around 11 am, around 3pm and then again right before I go to bed. Well, today, with everything going on, I took it when I got up but then didn't get to take it again until 1pm, and then again at 6:30pm. But, thankfully, symptoms weren't too, too bad.

So, now I'm home and I'm EXHAUSTED!!! I wouldn't have traded any of it though. Sometimes it's good for me to get "out of myself" and do fun things despite my condition. I am SO grateful that I am able to do things despite dystonia. I may have to modify how I do things, but I still get to have fun and that's all that really matters! I hope everyone else had a wonderful day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment