Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Day 10 - Dystonia and Being Thankful

I've been thinking I need to list a few things that I am thankful for in regards to dystonia. So here are just a few.

I am thankful for:

- A ranch house. When I bought it almost 10 years ago, I didn't know how big a deal stairs would later be for me. I am SO THANKFUL every room of my house is on one level.

- A car that fits my walker :) Fittingly enough, I own a Honda Fit!

- Awesome insurance. I am so blessed by this.

- That the dystonia is in my left foot and not my right. This is because I can still drive a car. I'm sure I could probably still drive one if I had it in my left, but depending on the severity of it, maybe not. If I could, it would be a lot harder.

- My job. As stated in yesterday's post, I could not have been blessed with a more perfect job for me than the one I have. I am also so very, very thankful for co-workers who see beyond the walker and just see me.

- The ability to live on my own. I hear of so many people that need help and just can't do things on their own and I am very blessed that I can.

- For my Mom and brothers (and Dad too when he's not preaching!) helping me up to communion on Sundays and Wednesdays. I can walk with a cane if I have someone to hold on to as well. The walker isn't always convenient to have with me.

- For my friend, Whitney who retrieved my walker for me last Sunday after church. It was at the back of the room and my mom and brother had left the service for various reasons before it was done, so I had no way of getting to my walker without help or someone retrieving it for me. So Whitney kindly went and got it for me :)

- For a neurologist who is both very bright and has a great bedside manner. You really don't know how thankful I am for this. My neurologist cracks me up every time I go and see him. He's a bright light in sometimes a very dark world.

- For friends like Savannah and Stacy and Frieda and Allie (and others!) who say they can't wait to read my blog. You don't know how much that means. I really didn't think anyone actually read (or more importantly, couldn't wait to read) this blog. I'll be honest, each day, I have NO IDEA what I'm going to write about that day. I pray and let God take over.

- For a co-worker who today asked why I didn't wear stilettos like my mom :) He's met her a couple of times when she's come by the office. I said that I couldn't. I'd fall. He looked at my quizzically and then after a few minutes of banter back and forth said " Oh, duh! Hit me in the back of the head right now!" Why am I thankful for this, you ask? Well because I have been working with this co-worker for 9 (almost 10) years now. He knows that I walk with a walker and he's been through everything with me. But, I realized in that moment, he didn't see me with a walker. He just sees me as me. He had TOTALLY FORGOTTEN that I used a walker to get around, until he turned around and saw me with it. He forgot that I have trouble walking, much less in sky-high stilettos. I loved it!!!!! It totally made my day.

- For family, friends and co-workers who do only see me and not the walker.

- For the ability to have lost weight, kept it off and to exercise. When I had a "real" reason to just give up on getting the weight off (actually, there are no real reasons), I put my mind to it and did it anyway :)

- For having an attitude that says, "If you tell me I can't do something, you better watch out because I'm going to find a way to prove you wrong". I'm kind of stubborn like that.

- For faith in Jesus. He's never left me and He's always got me in the palm of His hand. God's got this and I need only sit back and watch Him work!

And one more for good measure....

- For Wednesday's so I can say, Happy Hump Day and post pictures like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment