Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day 17 - Dystonia and Special Services

It's amazing to me the things I "missed" seeing when I was able bodied. There are so many things that are "wrong" with how we're "helping" the handicap society and I had no idea until I myself now have to use the services. I never noticed them before dystonia, but after being diagnosed, well, let's just say, I notice them now ;) Here are a few of the glaring ones that have jumped out at me:

Handicap bathrooms - I can't speak for men's rooms (but I assume they are the same way), however, for ladies rooms, have you ever noticed where the handicap stall is located? At the opposite end from where the door is located! This means, I have to walk even further! Who thought that a good idea?! I understand that a handicap stall is usually a lot bigger than the other stalls (I usually can fit my walker in there with me, with lots of room to spare), however I don't think it's very practical for someone with walking difficulties, or even those in wheelchairs to have to go to the furthest spot from the door to get a stall. Maybe that's just me :)

Handicap parking spaces - Now, I'll grant you, some of these are premium spots, but I've noticed that the majority of them are not. Just like with the bathrooms, the parking spots seem like they couldn't be farther away from the entrances. There are several "regular" spots that are actually closer to the door than most handicap spots. What's with that?! I don't get why handicap spots are relegated to the end of very long ramps. Yes, ramps are good, but they don't have to be very long and the parking spots don't have to be miles away from the entrance. Again, just my opinion, but I notice this now!

Elevators - Have you ever walked into a store and seen right away that there are stairs or an escalator in plain view, but you have to walk a mile to the back of the store to find an elevator? Not all stores are like this, but it is frustrating when I have to do more walking to find an elevator then I would have had to do if I just tried to do the stairs.

There are a lot more situations I could talk about, but I won't bore you with them. I just thought if I had never thought about the three things above when I was able bodied, that you who are reading may never have thought about them either :)

A co-worker said that he thought the head of any company's special services should be someone who has to use them himself/herself. That way, he/she could see things from the disabled's point of view and be able to help more than hinder when it comes to making arrangements for them. I have to agree with him. I think it would make all the difference!

Finally, even though it might sound like I am complaining in this post, I am not!! :) I am so, very, very, very grateful for handicap bathrooms, handicap parking spots, elevators and everything else! I couldn't imagine, if we didn't have them, what life would be like. So please don't read this post the wrong way! I just have a little different view now then I did before dystonia. However, I am superbly grateful for everything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment