Saturday, September 28, 2013

Blessed!

I can't believe I haven't updated this blog since Tuesday...there is so much to write about and it all comes down to one word: blessed! I am SO blessed. From little things to big things, I am one incredibly blessed girl. So let's get right on it....

First, since I love, love TV, let's start there. I loved the season premiere of "Chicago Fire" on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I watched reruns of "Duck Dynasty". I can't wait for new episodes of that show this week, but I loved the reruns as well. Thursday was the much anticpated premiere of "The Michael J. Fox Show"!! I was so excited about it. I love Michael J. Fox. I loved him in "Family Ties". My favorite movie of his is "Doc Hollywood". (I know, you are now all saying, "That's her favorite?! What about "Back to the Future"? But...I'm sticking with "Doc Hollywood"!!) I love that movie and him in it :) Anyway, I was super excited to watch his new show, however, I had an already planned "date" with my grandmother to watch "Doc Martin" at the same time it premiered. So, I just recorded it - or so I thought! When I got home, I realized, I had done something wrong and the show had NOT recorded!! I was so sad. Until, I realized it was going to be shown again on Friday night. Then sadness turned to happiness :) On a side note - I love my Thursday night "date" nights with Oma watching "Doc Martin". We just found the show this year. I know it's been on for awhile (PBS, 9pm on Thursdays), but it's brand new to me. Oma found it first and started watching it and then she told me about it and I started watching it. Then I started going over to her house to watch it and now we have a weekly "date" night. It's fun! Now, back to "The Michael J. Fox Show" - I ended up watching it on Friday night and I loved it. Yes, it's really different from "Family Ties". Yes, he's "shakey" because of his Parkinson's, but what I got out of it is: follow your dreams. Don't let something like Parkinson's or dystonia or anything else keep you from doing what you want to do. If it's acting - then act! I am so glad he's back on TV. I know, I may be seeing his return to TV in a different light then everyone else. I hope I'm not though. I don't see him as this guy we have to have pity on because of his circumtances. I like him because I like him. It's not because he does or does not have Parkinson's. I am so happy he's back, Parkinson's and all. It gives me hope and makes me realize, we are the only ones that put boxes around ourselves and say we can or can't do something. Fear overtakes us and keeps us from fulfilling our dreams. I know, heavy stuff, right?! And you're thinking, "she got this all from watching "The Michael J. Fox Show"?" And to that I say simply: yes!



Speaking of boxes we put around ourselves, a topic came up between myself and co-workers this week and it got me thinking about how I put God in a box. My God - Jesus - is the biggest thing out there. He created the world, you and me!! So why on earth do we put limitations on what we think He can do?! The topic of conversation between me and my coworkers was what I wanted in a husband. Yes, it really was! I'm not quite sure how we got on this topic, but nevertheless, we did! It was silly and crazy, but it also got me thinking. One co-worker asked what my top 5 requirements would be in a husband. I spouted off 5 requirements. I think my co-workers were surprised and amused and thought I had gone nuts :) It was all done in fun and silliness, but the more I thought about my 5 requirements, the more I thought, why not?! My 5 requirements were silly and superficial for the most part, but they are what I like in a guy and God knows that. So no matter how silly or superficial they may be, my co-workers may have to eat crow at my wedding, if God so deems to grant me a Christian, Australian-accented, medical doctor who looks like Jesse Spencer and lives in the south! A co-worker did also challenge me to see beyond my own expectations. What if God has something bigger than I can even imagine?! Then, so be it!! I can't wait to see what God has in store. I'm not limited to my 5 requirement silly list. God's bigger than that! I know that God has it all under control and has a perfect plan. Whether I get married or stay single, I know I'll be in the palm of God's hand. My dad reminded me of that on Wednesday as I took communion. So rest in that friends - we are in the palm of God's hand!!

Another adventure that happened this week: I got to hold an Emmy!!!! Back to the whole TV thing, I did tell you I love TV, right?! Well, I have always dreamt of winning an Emmy, a Golden Globe, a People's Choice Award, an Oscar (an Academy Award) and any other award out there for anything TV and/or movie related. Silly dreams, I know, but we all have them :) So Friday, I got to hold a real, authentic, Emmy award!!! It was awesome. I wanted to give an acceptence speech. It was heavy. Yes, it was HEAVY!!! That award must of weighed 10 pounds! I had to hold it with both hands. I have no idea how all the actors and actresses wave these awards above their heads and hold more than one at a time! It could also be dangerous - the wings on the award, well, they are sharp!! It took me 33 years, but I finally held an Emmy. The only thing that would make it even better were if it had my name engraved on it and I was in a fancy dress on stage in L.A. accepting it with a speech I had prepared in front of family and of course the world. But for now, holding my bosses Emmy in Knoxville, TN on a Friday afternoon in my work clothes, with no speech prepared will have to do!


From Emmy Award to driving a lawnmower powered train at my church - Grace Lutheran's - fall festival - it doesn't get any better than that!! That is how I spent my Saturday. It was awesome. It was epic. I was right where I wanted to be, celebrating the love of Christ and driving the lawnmower train. I said more than once, I am pretty darn sure I had the cushiest job there! I loved, loved, loved every minute of it :) I saw so many people, so many kids and I was happy, happy, happy like my shirt (and Phil Robertson) said! I lathered on the sunscreen, got my "Jesus lights my way" hand tatoo and went to town. I didn't wreck, no one fell off or got hit, and we didn't run out of gas - it was a smashing success! I drove that train for 4 hours straight at a rate of 5 minutes per ride. It was pure joy. The wind in my hair, the sun above and kids laughing in the train - nothing better, I say, nothing better! I was reminded once again, how much I truly, deeply love the people that go to my church. It was the perfect day - the weather was gorgeous, the festival was awesome, and the people came! I have to give a huge shout out to all who made it happen. I can't even imagine the hours of prep and the hard, hard work that went into making it another smashing success. You all rock and because of you, people in our community saw Jesus. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me take a small role in that and for letting me have a blast! Again - I tend to (unfortunately) put God in a box, thinking that because I have to use a walker to get around, I can't do things - WRONG!!!! I drove a lawnmower train for 4 hours and didn't have to use the walker to do it! God is so good and amazing. And once again, I am reminded of how truly blessed I am!!



Here's my wheels for the day :)


Here's evidence that I actually was at the wheel of the train. It's the only picture I got using my phone, but I know there's more evidence out there that I was actually driving it!


Since I was driving the train, I didn't get to take many photos, but here's one of some of the crowd :)

No comments:

Post a Comment