Thursday, September 19, 2013

Throwback Thursday: On the Set of Christy

Happy Thursday, Ya'll!! It being Thursday and all, I thought I'd do a little throwback - all the way back to October 1994. I was 14 years old and obsessed with everything having to do with celebrity and TV and movies (OK, 19 years later and things really haven't changed in that department!) My family and I had not even lived in Tennessee a full year yet (that would come in November), when I got to meet a real TV star and go on a real TV location. In the fall of 1994 a TV show started filming in Townsend, TN (about an hour to an hour and half's drive from Knoxville). Our dear church friends had stumbled upon the set of "Christy" starring Kellie Martin (from "Life Goes On" fame) and Tyne Daly. However, since they stumbled upon the site, they had not brought their camera with them. The guy guarding the gate told them to come back and we would let them in and they could take as many pictures as they wanted to. These dear friends of ours knew how obsessed I was with celebrity and TV and asked Mom and I to tag along when they went back. I was so excited, I almost couldn't contain myself! We headed up to Townsend. I, of course being the ever dedicated fan, brought with me my copy of the book "Christy" in hopes of seeing someone famous! I was NOT disappointed. Well, maybe I was a little. You see when we got to the set, the same man that my friends had talked to was there and he recognized my friends, however he could not let us on the official site because, unfortunately, there had been a theft on the set and no one - not even Kellie Martin herself - was allowed on the set without official credentials. I was heartbroken. Truly, I thought my dreams had been dashed - until the sweet man told us that if we wanted to hang around a bit, he had it under good authority that Kellie Martin was coming to the set. I was beside myself again. I would have waited all day and all night. We did have to wait awhile and while we did, we toured the surrounding buildings that were used on the show but not in the "official" compound. It was thrilling and awesome and everything I thought it would be. I didn't even care at that point that we couldn't go into the "official" compound - I was still seeing official houses and set props. I was like a kid in a candy store. I guess a kid on a movie set would be a more appropriate saying! And then, it happened. I met my first celebrity as Kellie Martin drove up! She was so sweet. She signed my book! She took a picture with us. She made my day. And that my friends, is my Throwback Thursday story :) Here are a few pictures from the set:

In the distance is the church and the "mission" house that were a vital part of the series



The Mission House



Inside one of the set houses


Hangin' laundry on the line like they did back in the day :)


Kellie Martin signing my book!

My book and Kellie's autograph (can you tell how worn my book is?! I read it over and over again)

1 comment: