Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Tune-In-Tuesday: May 29, 2018

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Yes, it is Tuesday, although if you're like me, today felt like a Monday. I hope everyone had a safe and blessed Memorial Day weekend - the unofficial beginning of summer!!! It certainly felt like summer where I was this weekend. The family, in 4 separate cars, made our way to Wisconsin to see my cousin, Ben get married. We left the rain, but took the heat with us. At times the temperature reached 100 degrees. I loved it though! I love warm weather, so I can't complain!

I had a wonderful walking week, although my walking in Wisconsin wasn't as great as it was in Knoxville or as great as I wanted it to be. It was still much better than it has been. I did use my Dad or Mom to help me get around though. I just wasn't as confident as I was hoping to be. I think trying to keep up with everyone was a factor. I can walk rather normally and with more confidence if I walk at my own pace, but trying to keep up with people makes me nervous.

I had a blast seeing all my relatives. It's intriguing to me that when we all get together, I start to see that we are truly family. We live so far apart from each other most of the time, that when we get together, I notice things like who I get my love of TV from (my Uncle Chris), who has curly hair besides myself (my cousin Nathan). I could go on, but I think you get the picture. It's fun to recognize stuff like that. One last trait I recognized was that I do have a lot of my mom in me (haha, I already knew this!). I realized at the reception that ALL of my first cousins were in the same place at the same time. So, I orchestrated a picture of all of use lined up in birth order. There are 11 of us cousins. One girl. TEN boys. Yes, folks, that means I am the sole girl in a gaggle of boys. 10 boys. This should clue you in to why I am ecstatic to finally have 2 nieces to spoil. I've been surrounded by boys my entire life!! On another note, I'm the oldest. On yet another note, of the 11 of us, 1 has a birthday on June 11 (Nathan) and 3 of us (yes, that's right...3 of us) have a birthday on June 12 (myself, my brother Stanton and my cousin Lukas). And on one final note...my grandparent's oldest grandchild (me) and youngest grandchild (Lukas) were born on the same day, 28 years apart. I'm not sure why I felt the need to include all of that here on the blog, but now you know!

I did something at this wedding that I've never done before: I sang karaoke. I made my cousin Phil's wife, Kim (I guess that would make her my cousin too!), do it with me. We had a blast. I sang horribly, but it was so much fun. I just let loose and it was freeing and absolutely fantastic. We sang "I've Got Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks and "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner. We sang back-up on several other songs and ended the night singing "American Pie" by Don McLean. I had absolutely NO intention of singing. None. I didn't even know there was going to be karaoke, but I threw caution to the wind and just belted it out and it was epic. So, so, so fun!!!!!! Kim and I are booking gigs, so if you want us at your next gig, contact our agent (Phil). Hurry though, we're being booked fast. ;)

Saturday night, as I was sitting at the wedding reception, I looked out and this thought came to mind, "Life sure is messy, but life is also so beautiful." We all have our problems and issues. Some of us have more problems and issues than others, but that's what makes us human. What also makes us human is to be able to celebrate with those who celebrate, like at weddings. Do I wish I could walk with out any problems at all? Of course I do! But that's not where God has me right now and that's OK. Learning to be content (content, NOT complacent) where I am is going to feel awesome, when I get there. ;) And, yes, I'm not there yet, but I'm on my way. God's still growing me and molding me and guiding me. I still danced. I got to sing karaoke (by the way, I really hope there is no video evidence of this). I had fun. I lived life. I'm glad I made the trek up to Wisconsin. It was well worth it to rejoice with Ben and Micaela and celebrate with not only them but the entire extended family.

I think since having the deep brain stimulation surgery, I've been more adventurous. Grant it, I never was a huge adventurer to begin with, but I'm starting to do things that I previously would have been too embarrassed and/or shy to do. This could also be due to my age. My parents have always told me the older you get the more you just don't care really what others may think of you. Having the DBS surgery has made me loosen up a little bit though. I'm not as scared to try new things. My newest "want" is to go horseback riding. I've done it before, but it's been years and I really want to do it again. ;)

I had yoga tonight and it was fantastic. I feel so much better about myself after a session. Tonight we did restorative yoga. It was gentler and more peaceful. At first, I really wanted to do more physical stuff, but what I wanted and what I needed were two different things. I got what I needed (without really even knowing I needed it) and it was absolutely perfect.

I can't believe another week has come and gone. Some days are rougher than others, but all in all, life is a beautiful blessing. I love seeing where the Lord leads. With Him at the helm, life is always an adventure. I know always that God's Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment