Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Tune-In-Tuesday: May 15, 2018

This past week has been really good. My walking was better and there were things to celebrate. I didn't fall and felt like for the most part, I could get around easier. I'm feeling extremely blessed as I write this post tonight. That doesn't mean there weren't frustrating moments or that my week was perfect, but it does mean that I'm growing and that God's allowing me to learn and see beauty in the broken.

This past week we celebrated Mother's Day. And in honor of that I'm going to tell you a story about my mom. I might have already shared this before, but it's worth sharing again. It's one of those moments in life that I'll never forget and one that has had a lasting impact on me ever since it happened. I had just had the awake portion of the deep brain stimulation surgery (there were three separate surgeries that encompassed the deep brain stimulation surgery experience). It had been quite a day. I had to spend one night in the hospital for monitoring, but would be able to go home the next day. Mom and I were watching my favorite show, Chicago Med, on TV. About 15 minutes into it, I couldn't watch it anymore. It's not that anything on screen got to me, it's that my head was killing me. And for me NOT to watch my favorite show, you know I had to be in pain. ;) I couldn't sit up in a chair anymore. I had to lay down. I got in the hospital bed and then I couldn't keep my eyes open. The pain was excruciating. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "splitting headache". It literally felt like my head would split open. I got pain meds, but they didn't even take the edge off. The nurses gave me more medication and it still didn't even touch me. They finally got permission from the doctor to give me a stronger medication and it helped some, but really not enough. I was miserable. I was nauseous and knew that any movement would make me throw up. My mom was with me through the whole thing. She would go get the nurses and demand that I get more medication. She brought me banana popsicles and saltine crackers - the only two things I could stomach. She did it all that night. But, what I cherish the most and what still makes me tear up to this day is that, in the middle of the night, in the darkness of the room as I was crying in my pillow, she gently reached over, found my hand and held it. That's a mother's love. No words needed to be spoken (although she did pray over me!), just the simple touch of a hand to let me know she was there and she cared. The most simplest of acts, yet the one that I'll never ever forget. So, thank you, Mom for that. It meant the world!

Not only was it Mother's Day on Sunday, but it was my brother's birthday. He came into town and we celebrated. It was a fantastic weekend and I didn't think much about walking at all. When I don't constantly focus on walking, it's easier to do. It's good to have happy distractions in life!!

I just got home a little while ago from a yoga session. I am learning so much. It's definitely NOT easy for me, but I'm growing and learning. The more I do it, the easier it gets. However, it's still challenging! For all these years I thought yoga was all about zenning out, but yoga can kick my butt too! It can definitely be quite the workout. I feel stronger after I do it - whether I succeed in the task at hand or not. I am so thankful that I have a kind and patient instructor. I still want to do things "perfectly", but I'm finding more and more that "perfect" is boring.

Uniqueness is a gift given by God that we all should embrace. I'm speaking more to myself here than to anyone else. Embrace life as you have it now. Laugh more, judge less. If you fall, fall with flair. Be bold, be courageous and always remember God's Got This!



No comments:

Post a Comment