Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Tune-In-Tuesday: January 7, 2020

Happy New Year! It's hard to believe we're already 7 days into year 2020. I still have Christmas decorations up, although at the moment my house is in complete disarray because I'm in the process of taking them down. I usually leave Christmas up until Epiphany (which is January 6).

I had a great week last week - still celebrating Christmas and New Year's Day. It's been fun taking some time away from work to celebrate with friends and family. Routine is also good and I'm thankful for it as well. I haven't had any major issues with my walking, but there are moments. They're just that though - moments. I try not to let them define me. That's easier said than done for me, but at least I'm trying.

I went to a store the other day where there were no carts to hold on to until I got into the store. I could (and most of the time do) focus on the fact that it took me forever to get in to the store and forever to get back out to my car and that I probably inconvenienced people as they had to stop (in their cars) to wait until I crossed, however, tonight I'm taking a different approach: I walked in to and out of that store on my own two feet and didn't fall. I made it! I will confess that once i got to my car, I sat there a few minutes watching people walk all over the parking lot with the greatest of ease and I got a little jealous. But, God had me realize how far I've come and that having a little difficulty walking is by no means the worst thing ever. I was reminded TWICE today by two different people of how far I've come. I must have needed to hear that today! :)

I'm a member of a dystonia group on Facebook and the other day they posted an article about how those with dystonia may experience sleep disruptions. I didn't actually read the article, but that headline must have been rolling around in my brain because last night was pretty much sleepless. I don't think it really had anything to do with dystonia, but I was tired last night so I went to bed at 9:30/10 pm. I woke up at 1 am and couldn't fall back asleep for anything. I read my Bible. I thought surely three chapters of Leviticus (NOT Lamentations, which I think I told my dad I was reading. You know, they both start with "L" and are in the Old Testament - ha!) would put me to sleep. It did not. Finally at 2am I got up and started putting away Christmas decorations. I worked up until the time I had to get ready for work. I should be EXHAUSTED by now! I did have a right-after-lunch slump, but I got up from my desk at work and walked around for a few minutes and then was fine. I still have miles to go before all my Christmas decorations are put away, but hopefully tonight I will sleep!

Also with dystonia, repetitive motions trigger spasms. That's why a lot of musicians deal with dystonia and why "writer's cramp" is a dystonia. Putting decorations away, I'm experiencing some repetitive motions which cause my hands to cramp or my legs to feel like jelly. This could also just be a sign that I'm getting old. ;)

I have to say though, that I am still extremely blessed - even when walking is hard. I am able to live a rather normal life. Yeah, I have some issues, but in the scheme of themes, I can do (almost) anything I put my mind to. God has blessed me in SO MANY ways. I have the most awesome job that does not require me to be on my feet or walking all day. I have a home that I love (and that, even though purchased before any of my problems began, also happens to be on one level - God provides!). I have a family and friends who love me for me. And, I have God who protects me always. I'm blessed!

I go back to my neurologist on January 30 for a 6 month check-up.

I hope all of you have a wonderful week to this brand new year and always remember - God's Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment