Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tune-In-Tuesday: January 21, 2020

Walking was good last week. I had problems from time to time, but overall it was pretty good. Today, I had more issues. I think it’s the weather, but it could really be anything, so who knows? I was talking with someone this past week and it dawned on me how God has built it in us to compensate when something is out of whack. I don’t choose to walk the way I do, I walk the way I walk because my body automatically reacts and compensates to keep me upright and moving (for the most part).

I compensate in other ways too. I know this is HIGHLY frowned upon by most of my friends (because I read your Facebook posts about it!), but I LOVE when someone doesn’t return their shopping cart to the shopping cart dispensary (is that what it’s called, or did I just make that up?). It means I don’t have to circle the parking lot a million times (looking like a stalker) to get a parking spot by a cart. Contrary to popular belief, the handicap parking spot is not always the best parking spot (and believe me I know, because before I had problems walking, I thought they were prime real estate. Now that I need the spot, I find it’s not always the most handicap accessible spot in the lot). I hardly ever return my shopping cart to its rightful place unless I happened to park right next to the receptacle or I’m having a pretty great day walking and think I can do it without having to hold on to something. There. I admitted it. I’m the worst! Judge away! πŸ˜‰ But that’s one way in which I compensate.

Another way I compensate is to “text while walking” or basically just look at my phone while walking. I know, another “no, no.” What does this do for me? Well, for one, it “distracts” me enough so that I’m more likely to walk better. I’m not focused on who may be watching me walk. It also gives me an “excuse” for walking slower – because let’s face it – I walk SO SLOW. I shouldn’t care what people think of me (and there are times that I really don’t care), but I get anxious and using a phone just helps me compensate a little more.

I thank God for the many ways He has allowed me to compensate.

Next month, will be 4 years since I’ve had deep brain stimulation surgery. I had three surgeries in three weeks back in 2016. One on Feb 16, one on Feb 23 and the last on Feb 29. I think this year is significant for me because it’s actually Leap Year and it was on Leap Year 2016 that I had my final surgery. I re-read some of my blog posts from back then. I’m SO thankful that I blogged about it because I find them fascinating to re-read. One of the posts that I re-read was one from Dec 4, 2015. It was the night my neurologist called to tell me that the DBS Conference had been held that day. My neurologist brought my case up again (this was the 2nd or 3rd time) to all in attendance and this time, I was approved for DBS. They were all in agreement. First, they all agreed that my case was unique, but then they all agreed that if I was still game, DBS surgery would be the next step. To re-read that post – it felt like it was just yesterday. I remember where I was, what I was doing and everything about that night. If your new to my story or to this blog, feel free to go back and read blogs from my past. You’ll get the whole story. I don’t leave out much. πŸ˜‰

I hope everyone’s having a blessed week. Thank you for reading and following along on this journey. Always remember, God’s Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment