Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Tune-In-Tuesday: August 27, 2019

I think I’ve mentioned this on the blog before, but since it’s been bothering me again this past week, I’m writing about it again. Of all things, my shoulder has been causing me problems. Mostly, I talk about my walking on here, but alas, it’s my shoulder this time. The reason I’m writing about it here is because I think it might have something to do with the dystonia. I could be completely wrong (after all, I’m not an M.D. – ha!), but it’s my left shoulder (the left side of my body is where the dystonia is), and it’s on the side that I have the battery inserted for the deep brain stimulation system (which carries with it wires). Anyway, it aches. It’s not a stabbing pain. It might not be the dystonia at all though. I broke my collar bone when I was born. Yes – when I was born. I was literally born broken πŸ˜‰ (There’s a metaphor in there somewhere!). I asked my parents once which side I broke, and they couldn’t remember, but they think it was my left side. (There are no pictures of me in a sling or anything, so did this even happen?!?!) So, maybe it’s arthritis? I could have messed it up doing yoga. I could have messed it up just being myself. πŸ˜‰ My dilemma is this: I don’t want to go to the doctor about it when I already have a planned physical at the end of September. So, instead of doing the responsible thing and going to the doctor, I’m writing about it here. 😊 The weird thing is, it doesn’t hurt every day - which kind of leads me to believe that it is due to either dystonia or arthritis – neither of which my primary care doctor can really do anything about, so I’ll stop complaining and just wait until I see him in September. (It took me 323 words to complain about that!). Interestingly enough, my shoulder is NOT hurting today, but it was yesterday.

Another thing that I’ve mentioned on here before, but that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately is the yips. A guy I go to church with asked me a while ago if I had ever heard of the yips. I had, but didn’t really know what it was, so he explained. It’s really in reference to golfing (which I know NOTHING about. My favorite golfing is putt-putt 😊), but the concept can be related to anything really. The definition of yips according to the dictionary is “a state of extreme nervousness that causes a golfer to miss an easy putt.” I also got this definition of the yips from Wikipedia: “The yips is the loss of fine motor skills in athletes. The condition occurs suddenly and without apparent explanation, usually in mature athletes with years of experience. It is poorly understood and has no known treatment or therapy.” So, in my case I relate it to walking fine and then “feeling” someone staring at me (whether they really are or it’s just a figment of my imagination) and instantly having issues walking again. Dystonia is definitely physical, but I definitely have “yips” moments.

I found this quote on the Internet and I love it:


To put a Christian spin on it: I am so, so very grateful for everything that God has, is and will see me through - half of which I probably have no idea He's saved me from! So, I'm sorry I've been complaining in this post. I feel like this was a bummer blog entry, but I’m really not in a bummer mood. The last week has been pretty good. I didn’t fall. I didn’t have any massive issues. So, please don’t get the idea that I’m all depressed over here because I am not! It’s just that sometimes I have to write about the “bummer” things so that I have a record of them. God’s been good, is good and continues to be good to me every single day. His mercies are new every morning and at the end of every day, I look back on what He’s seen me through during the day and I am so very thankful.

As always…God’s Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment