Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tune-In Tuesday: June 28

Where to start? To be honest, I don't feel like writing an update. One, because there isn’t much to update and two because I feel like whatever I do write, will seem like complaining in light of the news today that legendary Lady Vol basketball coach, Pat Summitt passed away after battling early onset dementia.

However, I need this blog to remind myself of what happens week to week, so I’ll force myself to write it. :)

I'm still not "turning it (the deep brain stimulation device) up". I'm waiting, ever so impatiently for 4 weeks to pass at 4.00 volts to see if anything happens.

This past Wednesday, I thought I saw improvement. It was so much easier to walk Wednesday night. I have no idea what I did or didn’t do, but I was thankful. Unfortunately, it only lasted that night, but I’ll take what I can get. It was easier to walk up to communion at church and instead of someone bringing me my walker, I walked to it (using my cane) and got it myself!

Friday night, I decided to check my remote to make sure that I had not accidentally turned the device off. I hadn't, however, the battery really, really needed to be changed, so I changed it and was able to walk a little better on Saturday. I know that has nothing to do with me changing the batteries, because the batteries are only to the remote, not the actual device, but I was thankful for the placebo effect anyway! :)

Saturday, I woke up and thought I felt electricity in my arm. I was so excited until I realized that I had just slept on my arm and it had fallen asleep. Haha. Oh well!

I’ve had some not-so-great walking days this past week which have frustrated me to no end. However, I've come to a conclusion. The days that are bad walking days are the same ones that I spend most of the day seated. I have now resolved to force myself to walk more. Even if that just means walking to the bathroom, to the break-room at work or to a co-worker's desk. I need to walk more. It’s the last thing I want to do, but I know it’s the first thing I need to do. No one becomes a great basketball player if they never practice shooting hoops. No one becomes a great anything unless they practice, practice, practice. So, I’ve resolved to practice walking more – no matter the outcome. I hope you’ll hold my feet to the fire on this because like I said, it’s the last thing I want to do.

I’ll end this short update by saying I know God’s still got this. I am forever grateful that He gives me moments of pure joy in between all the hard stuff. I know He doesn’t just do that for me. He does it for everyone, but this past week I am exceedingly thankful for those moments.

In memory of Pat, I wore my UT orange today!

No comments:

Post a Comment