Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Tune In Tuesday: April 13, 2021

I was about to start this entry with..."There's nothing new to report." But then decided against that because while there's no new earth-shattering news to report, there's always something to write about! Or is that just me? I love to write, so maybe that's just me, but either way here's a little update.

I haven't fallen in the last week, so that's good news! Today I had to go to Wal-Mart for something and as I was leaving it struck me...while holding on to a cart I walk pretty normal (unless it's a really bad day), so people may wonder why I park in handicap parking. I then thought to myself, "but take the cart from me and you'll see..." and like it was scripted in a movie that very scenario happened. I parked the cart and while taking the two steps to my car, I stumbled. I didn't fall, but I almost burst out laughing. That's what I get for thinking about falling.

I got the newest publication of the magazine "Brain & Life" today in the mail. Does that make me a geek, because I love the magazine? I find any neurological condition (now that I'm living with one) fascinating, so I love the magazine. And, it's free, so that's even better! Anyway, there was an article in it about a man living with cervical dystonia. It was enlightening to read his story and how he deals with his condition. As he said in the story, we're all different though so what works for him may not work for the next person. And to prove his point, he said that he gets Botox injections that help him tremendously. Botox didn't even touch me (so to speak). I tried it. I tried getting it in different muscles. I tried different variations of Botox. None of it worked. In fact, I actually have an antibody towards one variation (I think it's type A, but I'd have to look that up to confirm.), so that means no Botox for me to reduce lines and wrinkles in my face later in life - ha! (They're always coming up with something new, so, I'm sure I could have something if I wanted it, so no worries there!). I'm very thankful I don't have cervical dystonia. I'm sure this man would say the same when it came to having my version of dystonia (left-sided hemiparesis dystonia - meaning mine is on the left side of my body effecting my hand and leg/foot).

One way I "battle" (not sure if that's the right word to get my point across, but it'll do) dystonia is yoga. I do it one-on-one with an instructor. It's not pretty - ha! She modifies a lot of things for me, but I feel stronger both physically and mentally after I do  it. I like to be pushed. OK, maybe "like" is not the right word, but I love the feeling that comes after I've done something hard (for me!). It's that endorphin rush. Last week, I came home from yoga and my muscles ached (in a good way). I just had yoga again today and I know my muscles will ache (in a good way!) again because my instructor pushed me. I also love working out on my stationary bike at home. Exercise is a good weapon to fight dystonia. It won't ever cure it, but it makes me feel better and gets me moving. 

And now that I've written a lot for someone who was going to start with, "There's nothing new to report.", I think you're as caught up as you could possibly be with what's going on with me. Hey, that rhymed. ;)

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and always remember, God's Got This!  

No comments:

Post a Comment