Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tune-In-Tuesday: February 20, 2018

I started writing this post today during my lunch hour at work and while I’ll still post what I wrote then, I must start this introduction over. If you know me in “real life” or you’ve been reading this blog long enough, you know my natural tendency is to be a pessimist. But, I just got home from a yoga session and I am in such a more optimistic mood than I was earlier. Not that I was in a terrible mood at lunch, I was just more melancholy. My yoga class and particularly my yoga instructor certainly changed that. My instructor is such an encourager!! I am so blessed by her every time we get together. She told me tonight that I was her best client regarding doing my homework – ha! When I was in school, I loathed homework, but this is different. I finally figured out that if I’m going to get better at anything, I must put blood, sweat and tears into perfecting whatever I want to get better at. Thankfully (as of now) there has been no blood, but plenty of sweat and some tears. Why wouldn’t I do the homework she gives me? I want to get better at this and in turn get better at walking. I had a great session tonight and it (through God's grace) changed my mood. Yay!

(Now’s where I’ll post what I wrote at lunch):

This past week has been a mixed bag. I’ve felt frustrated, but I’ve also had some great moments. The struggles make us stronger, right?! I haven’t walked like I’ve wanted to or as well as I have been walking. But then again, I haven’t fallen. I haven’t done my yoga exercises, “perfectly”, but then again, I’m still able to do them. I am still able. I must keep reminding myself of that. Even when it’s hard, I’m still able to do things without a walker or cane. It may be a little awkward or scary, but I’m still able. (Can you tell I’m giving myself a pep talk?!) Sometimes, I’m brave enough to go after things, sometimes, I’m not. But that’s life in general, right?!

I’m getting ready to “celebrate” (I’m not sure if that’s the word I’m really looking for, but I’ll run with it), two years post deep brain stimulation surgery(s). It was February 14, 2016 (yes, Valentine’s Day), when I had to have all my hair cut and shaved off (thank you again, Carrie). It was February 16, 2016, when the first surgery took place. That first surgery was to place screws to hold the halo that would be used in the "big" surgery. It was also to get an MRI to map out my brain. On February 23, 2016, I had the “big” awake surgery and then on February 29, 2016 was when I had the final surgery to activate the device. The irony is not lost on me that the surgery to activate the deep brain stimulation device took place on Leap Day. I like to think that it's God's way of saying that I will LEAP again one day! How has it been two years?!!! It’s been a journey to say the least! If I would have known then what I know now, I would definitely do it all over again. It’s been a physical journey, but it’s also been a spiritual one. To see how God has had His hand on every situation and weaved himself through every part of my life has been breathtaking. I am blessed.

This is not a good transition, but to get back to what happened this past week, I’ll start with a funny story. My co-workers and I had just been to a company-wide meeting on Thursday and we were standing around in the hallway talking to each other. I knew I was standing by a wall, I just didn’t know how closely I was standing by said wall until I turned around and walked right into it. Yes, no one ever said I was graceful – that’s for sure. Thankfully, I didn’t hurt myself (or the wall). My pride may have taken a bruising though. Haha. When I do things, I don’t just do them halfway, I do them epically. In this case, I didn’t run into a wall when no one was looking, I ran into a wall when there was a huge group of people walking down the hall. Oh well, such is life. Everyone (including myself) got a huge laugh out of it! This had NOTHING to do with dystonia or any physical handicap. It had everything to do with the fact that I’m just a klutz.

In a different situation last week, I was walking and talking with a co-worker and I was a little fired up about something. My co-worker commented later that she was marveling at how well I walked while I was pouring out my frustrations to her. It seems that when I’m fired up about something, I have absolutely no problem walking. HA! It’s because I’m walking “automatically” and not thinking about walking. It’s when I concentrate too much on walking that I have issues. A while back, a guy at my church said it’s like getting the yips. Yes, yes, it is. I just need to breath and remember that everything will be OK and not worry so much about what other people think (again, I’m giving myself a pep talk!).

On Sunday an amazing thing happened. I was walking ever so slowly and precariously into church, being careful not to fall. The oldest member of our congregation was being dropped off at the front of the church. I just happened to be there as she was, so I helped her out of the car and the two of us walked into church together. The instant I started to help her, my foot relaxed, and my leg became strong. She thought I was helping her, but she was actually helping me. I instantly felt like I could walk without any issue. All it took was helping someone else, to help myself and it was WONDERFUL! Thank you, Jesus!

So, for all those out there who, like me, tend be pessimists most of the time, remember that even in the frustrating times, God is always gracious, God is always with us, God wants us to be optimists and God’s Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment