Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Tune-In-Tuesday: February 13, 2018

Happy Fat Tuesday, everybody! Tomorrow is the being of my favorite Holy season. It starts with Ash Wednesday and culminates with Easter Sunday. Christmas is most people's favorite holiday, but mine is Easter. I can't wait to celebrate it this year!

This past week was chalked full of every emotion and every season there is - at least that's how it felt! Last Tuesday, a faithful man of God was called home. He was the social ministry director at my church and his death was a shock to all of us. I knew of his death when I wrote last week's blog post, but didn't say anything as it was still sinking in. The Wednesday before I sat right behind him during Wednesday night services (as I always did). To have known then that that was the last time I'd see him alive, maybe I would have spoken more to him. He was always so very gracious and kind to me. He kept reminding me of the miracle I am that I can now walk without a walker or a cane - even when I'm having major difficulty. His death came as such a shock that it actually opened my eyes again to how fragile and beautiful and treasured this life is. Even with it's ups and downs and curves, we should treasure every moment of it and treasure the people we get to do it with. Paul, you will be missed, but I am secure in the knowledge that I know you are with our Lord and Savior.

Along with Paul, there were two other deaths of people I either knew personally or knew in association to friends of mine. Needless to say, it's been a little bit of a sad week in that respect. It's also been a week of sickness. Not me, (thank you, Jesus!), but everyone around me. East Tennessee has been hit hard with the flu this year. Schools were out almost an entire week (save for Wednesday) because of it. People in my own family have had it. I've just been trying to stay flu-free. I'm washing my hands and using Purell every other second. And then, there's the weather. One day it's sunny and in the 60's and the next day it's dreary and in the 30's. I guess, such is winter in Tennessee. :)

I mention all the above because it's definitely effected my walking. I have not fallen, but I haven't walked as good as I had been. But, there's good news. :) Twice in the past week, I KNEW I was going to fall. Like - completely lose my balance, fall all the way to the floor, hurt myself kind of fall, but BOTH times, I miraculously (by God's grace) CAUGHT myself. I credit that to the Lord and also to the strength training (through yoga) of my legs. I caught myself both times. Both times when I felt myself falling - and not one of those graceful falls where you barely hurt yourself, but one of those falls that are going to leave a mark - I miraculously was saved. I am so very, very, very thankful and so very humbled at the same time. I didn't fall! Praise Jesus. I don't take it for granted. I've fallen one too many times to take NOT falling for granted.

I did something this past week that I've never done before: I went to the symphony by myself! I know it's probably not a huge thing to most people, but I'm not most people - ha! The tickets were originally my parents, but they couldn't go, so my Dad gave them to me. I was going to go with my sister-in-law, but she got sick. I tried to give them away, but to make a long story short, with a start time of 8pm, I decided at 5:30pm to bite the bullet and just go and I am so ever grateful that I did! I had a blast!! I met new people. I saw people from my church. I got to enjoy awesome music and singing. It was their Valentine's concert, so it was love songs from different movies. I felt a little awkward about going by myself to a Valentine's Day themed performance, but I decided to embrace my singleness and just do it. It was so fun!! Did I mention that I almost needed an ARK to get there and back? Torrential rain poured down all day and night and I looked like a drowned rat after the symphony (I did have my umbrella, but when the wind is blowing...), but I have now proven to myself that I can go to the symphony by myself and have fun!



So, as I said, this week was full of different emotions, different seasons and so much more. In the scheme of things, walking is walking. Sometimes I walk well, sometimes I don't, but when I look back on experiences, will walking be the only thing I remember? Absolutely not! It may encompass some memories (if I had difficulty, fell or on the opposite spectrum, walked beautifully), but I'll remember the experiences and events more than how I walked.

I have to include this in this post. I saw it shared on Facebook and it made me laugh. It has nothing to do with my walking, but it's medical, so it fits in right? Even if it doesn't, it's too funny not to share, so here go.


Now tell me you didn't laugh at that! :)

Thank you once again for reading and following along. I treasure each of you, because each of you are a part of my life's story. I'm truly blessed and God's Got This!


No comments:

Post a Comment