Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Tune-In Tuesday: April 25 Post-Op Appointment

I told my parents last night that I can not be held responsible for anything I do in my sleep. I've always been a wild sleeper. My college roommate can attest to this. ;) I mentioned this to Dr. Gardner today when I saw him for my 1 week post-op appointment. He smiled and said, "There is a reason I put you in a boot!"

I was completely out-of-the-loop on what was happening at today's appointment. For some reason, I got it in my head that I'd be able to get rid of the bandages or at least the boot - haha. Yeah, not so much! Despite that, it was a good appointment. Note to self though: take pain meds before going to the doctor. Mom did not tell me this until AFTER we were already there. ;) It was kind of painful to get the bandages removed. My foot and toes look absolutely disgusting and gross, but for the first time in forever, my toes are completely straight!! Dr. Gardner made sure everything was healing properly (it is!) and he got an X-Ray. Then he re-bandaged my foot and explained to me why I have to continue to wear the boot. He said that because of my dystonia he didn't want any spasms or awkward movements to undo everything he had done surgically. He said I'll be in the boot for a few more weeks yet and as long as I'm in it, I don't have to worry about doing anything that would undo his work. I have to go back NEXT week to get the stitches out. With as much surgery as I've had, it struck me that I've never had to get stitches removed. I asked if it would it hurt and he said maybe a little, but I should be fine.

Dr. Gardner gave me permission to start bearing weight on my foot, so I practiced walking a little bit at my parent's house. It's not wonderful, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be either. I still made the decision (with my boss's blessing, of course) to work from home until at least next Tuesday.

Funny story: I asked Dr. Gardner whether I went under general anesthesia or not. The anesthesiologist said he was going to put me under "twilight" but not fully under general. But I could of sworn, I heard Dr. Gardner in the OR say, "she needs to go under general." So I asked him and I was right! I did hear him say that. He said I went under as far as possible without actually having a machine breathe for me. The anesthesiologist didn't want to put me all the way under because of the dystonia and Dr. Gardner wanted me all the way under because of the dystonia. Go figure! Anyway, Dr. Gardner told me that the last thing I said to him was, "If I say anything, don't tell my dad." I guess I was thinking I might say something inappropriate or something, I don't know! I asked him if I really said that and he said I did. I told him that all the nurses in recovery were saying that I was awfully giggly.

I still have some pain, but am not taking any pain meds. I started working again yesterday (from home). I told Dr. Gardner that I thought a lot of pain was coming from the boot. He agreed that it might be. It still didn't get him to say I could stop wearing it - darn.

That's it for this update. I have to say that I'm feeling really blessed. God is good. I can still say without a shadow of a doubt: God's Got This!



No comments:

Post a Comment