Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Turn-It-Down Tuesday: February 21

God shows up in amazing ways! My walking wasn’t all that great this past week, but I marvel at how God works. I’m a little stubborn (ha – "little" may be a huge understatement!) so I refuse to use the walker or the cane and God still keeps me from falling. That's an amazing God!

For the past three Sundays now, I've struggled walking in the parking lot getting inside church, however GOD shows up every single time. For three weeks, He has sent someone to walk beside me. I know God’s always by my side, but He sent someone to physically be there with me as well. For the first two Sundays it was my friend, Tina. This last Sunday, it was my friend Crystal. I don’t know if they truly understand what an answer to prayer they were and are. If not, and if they are reading, I hope they do now. Thank you, Tina and Crystal. Thank you for walking each painfully slow step with me – letting me walk on my own – but being there “just in case”. I’ll never forget that you walked with me.

I also really struggled getting into work on Monday morning, but again God showed up. This time it was the reverse of Sunday. ;) He showed up by not letting anyone else be around while I walked in. I went at my own pace (slower than slow) and made it with His help. Sometimes, I need God AND people and other times, I just need/want God. He knows this!! I really do stand in awe of how He works.

I sometimes wonder what’s on security camera footage at work though. Thankfully, to date, I haven’t fallen in front of a camera (that I know of), but I do wonder if security thinks, “Why is she walking so slow!” I know I can’t worry about this stuff, but it does cross my mind! I mean, I am so slow, I’m pretty sure a tortoise could win a race against me. Haha. Oh well. That’s what makes me unique, right?!

This was the scene in my bedroom this morning:


The struggle is real, people. :) I have a cut on my toe that's just as stubborn as me and won't go away! I’ve bought every bandage, in every size and the cut will not heal. I found some old Neosporin and put that on, only to read that it expired in 2012. ;) This morning I found a triple antibiotic ointment that I used last year to put on my scars from the deep brain stimulation surgeries. It, thankfully, doesn’t expire until 2018 so I applied it. The thing is, it’s extremely hard to keep a bandage on my toe because of the toe it is on. My toe also swells because of the cut and also because of the rubbing it does against shoes. It took several tries to this morning to get a bandage to stick on my toe but, finally...success:


The cut is why I have momentarily boycotted wearing shoes when I’m at home, so that it can heal. In fact, these are what I’ve worn to work-out in the past couple of work-outs:


Don’t laugh (OK, laugh all you want, because it is funny!!), they actually work because they have a sole on them. My tennis shoes were hurting and I tried flip-flops and those didn’t work out. (Just as a reminder, I ride a stationary bike, so it’s not like I’m doing Pilates or Zumba or running half marathons in house slippers!) The cut is stubborn, but I'm more stubborn. I am determined to do everything I can to get it to heal. My walking may even improve drastically because I won't be worrying that my toe is going to hurt.

As for my actual walking, I noticed that this past week was nowhere near as good as the previous two weeks, so I decided to take the electricity down a notch. Awkward movements in my hand and problems walking led to this decision. I am pretty sure that I’m on the right “node” because my foot still does lay flat, but not the right amount of electricity. So, I’ll try this reduced amount and see if that helps at all. I’m now at 3.60 volts.


So…I am pretty sure that everyone reading this blog knows that I am a pastor’s kid. If not, I just told you, so now you know. ;) I also think that everyone knows that I go to the church my dad is the pastor of. And finally, everyone knows that I’ve been walking with a walker for over 10 years now. All that background to say this: Last Wednesday night, I went to church. As I pulled in the parking lot, I noticed that there was a new sign accompanying a few of the handicap signs that were already in place. My first reaction was to take a picture. My second reaction?! I laughed so hard. You cannot tell me that God doesn’t have a sense of humor. Here’s the sign:


For a little perspective: I saw this sign 11 days after I went “cold-turkey” on using either the walker or my cane. I had not been using my walker for a while, but was 11 days out from using any assistance. Only 11 days!! These signs weren’t there the Sunday before (or at least I didn’t see them). I mean, for over 10 years, I've walked with a walker and 11 days after I go cold-turkey on any assistance, they put these signs up?!! What about the past ten years?!! Haha. God, your sense of humor is awesome. :)I love it! Laughter sometimes truly IS the best medicine. I serve a God who knows I need laughter in my life. Thank you, God for this. It's truly just what I needed! As someone pointed out, now that I AM walking, I deserve to park there as it does say “wheelchairs and WALKERS only”. Haha.

I have one very important anniversary coming up. February 23 will be one year since the actual deep brain surgery. It's not the day the device was turned on and activated, that was March 29, but it's the day of the big, awake brain surgery. How can it already be a year?!! All I can do is marvel and stand in awe of what God has done and will continue to do. So, even with a few not-so-great walking days this past week, I can still say that I am incredibly blessed and I’m getting better….one very, extremely, slow step at a time. ;) God’s Got This!!

No comments:

Post a Comment