Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October Baby

If you know me, you know I love movies and TV. This is not a secret! I love all kinds of movies and TV shows. Some I'm not afraid to say I watch and others I'd be a bit more embarrassed to admit that I watch :) But there is one movie I'm not ashamed in the least bit to say that I love. It's "October Baby".


There are many reasons I love it; some are superficial, but others are most definitely not! If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so. I've had this movie for a year now and I've watched it so many times that I can recite the dialogue in certain scenes from memory. I've watched it so much, that the DVD is getting worn out! I just re-watched the movie last night (after all, it is titled "October Baby" and it is October; I say it's the perfect time to watch it!) There are many reasons why I love this movie, but to break the ice, I'll start with a couple of the superficial ones :) I love the fact that this movie was filmed in Alabama (my home state!), in Birmingham (my hometown!) on the campus of Samford University (where my brother goes to college!) The funny thing about this is that I had no idea of any of that when I first watched the movie. I kept thinking that certain places or buildings looked very familiar, but it wasn't until I watched the "extras" on the DVD that all the puzzle pieces fell into place! I also love that it stars John Schneider - "The Dukes of Hazzard", John Schneider. While I never actually watched "The Dukes of Hazzard" (I knew him from "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman"), I've always thought John Schneider is cute! So, I have a few superficial reasons why I like the movie!

But - I also have real reasons I love this movie. The movie is about a girl (Hannah) who discovers that not only is she adopted, but that she is the survivor of a botched abortion. The issue of abortion has always been close to my heart. From a young age on, my parents instilled in me and my brothers that as the tag line of this movie states, "every life is beautiful". Abortion is murder, plain and simple. In this country, those who take the life of another person are either executed or spend the rest of their life in prison for their crime, but when an unborn child's life is cut short, it's said to be the mother's choice. That's not right. From the time of conception a baby is just that: a baby - a living, breathing, feeling, human life. I am not afraid to say that I am 100% pro-life. Now there is forgiveness for all sins and I do believe that with all my heart. I am not here to judge, point fingers or act like I am "holier than thou". I don't mean to preach, but this is how I feel about the issue. I will never - ever see it as a woman's choice. A life is a life is a life. It's not a inconvenience or a mistake - it's a baby, a human life. I won't back down from that. I won't pretend to know what it's like to be in a situation where a woman thinks the only option is abortion. All I can say is that there is grace and forgiveness. And now, I'll step down from my soap box :) Back to the movie.... there are two different scenes in the movie that stand out to me as my favorites. One is when Hannah (having found and been rejected by her birth mother) leaves her birth mother a note with only these words written on the paper "I forgive you". She leaves it with the hospital bracelet her mother wore the day she was born. This scene was so moving to me because not only did you see it from Hannah's perspective, but also from the birth mothers. And, the scene becomes even more special if you watch the DVD extras and hear the story of the woman who played the birth mother in the movie. And my other favorite scene is at the very end of the movie. Hannah is speaking with her (adopted) father when she tells him thank you and he asks for what. She replies "for wanting me". I get teary eyed just typing that! But how much more does our Heavenly Father want us? He gave His one and only Son for us, because he wants us so much! I am reminded again that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made". And so are you! How awesome is our God?! "October Baby" is a wonderful reminder of how messy life is, how beautiful life is, how much three simple words whether they be "I forgive you", "I love you", "I want you" can mean and most importantly how very much our Heavenly Father loves, adores and wants each one of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment