Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Tune-In Tuesday: December 26

Last week's post did it!! I gave a not-so-subtle hint (haha!) that I wanted a tour of the ER where my brother works. His wife just happened to see my post and read the blog to him. The next night, he called me and said he could give me a tour the next day! So on December 21, I got an (almost) all-access tour of UT's ER. It was beyond awesome and the best part was that I wasn't a patient!! I told Stanton that that could have been my Christmas present. I met some of the doctors and nurses he works with. I brought them homemade chocolate chip cookies. I got to see the nurses lounge and the admittance desk. I got to see where the doctors hang out and where their lockers and mailboxes are. The best part was I got to see the trauma room. We had to wait a bit to see it as a trauma came in while I was there, but once the trauma was clear, Stanton took me to see the room. That's where all the action takes place. On one hand, I was a little surprised at how little the room was, but on the other hand, I was enthralled by what I saw. One doctor was surprised at the fact that I wanted to tour the ER. He said that touring a museum would be more fun. Not to me, not to me! Haha. I got asked TWICE if I was also a doctor (besides Stanton) and if I was coming to work there. Stanton told me later that most people who tour the ER are doctors and are coming to work there. I was surprised how big the ER was. They have somewhere around 70 beds/rooms for patients. Stanton said it looked like they were really busy the day I toured. I got to see the ambulance bay. I told one of Stanton's colleagues that in my business we have a phrase: "It's cable, not cancer.", meaning no one will die if we make a mistake, but in Stanton's line of business, I guess that's not quite true! I didn't take that many pictures, because of HIPPA laws and such, but I was able to snap a few and as weird as I am, I love looking at them - haha. I'm not going to lie, I compared everything to the TV shows ER and Chicago Med. I'm also not going to lie about looking to see if there were any single cute doctors around. :) A girls got to do what a girls got to do. I had such a fun, fascinating time. A huge thank you to Stanton (and Aubrey too) for giving his big sister a tour!

This past week has been absolutely wonderful. I took time off from work before Christmas because my co-worker is taking this week off. I was able to get a lot of things done, including one day where I spent 6 hours wrapping presents. I also did something new-to-me at the recommendation of one of my doctors: yoga. I wasn't sure it would be for me. I knew nothing about it nor how it could help me. Thankfully, for the time being, I'm doing it with a private instructor who is modifying it to help with the dystonia. I have to say, I had my second session today and I love it. It may not be for everyone, but, even only 2 sessions in, it's helping with my balance and flexibility and it's also helping me stress less! So maybe it is a good thing. ;)

Walking has been getting better and better. Of course, there are definitely moments when it's not so good, but then there are days like today where I've walked almost as good as I could ask for! I walked into yoga today normally. I didn't have to start/stop. I wasn't stiffed-legged and I actually bent my knee. My feet landed on the ground the way they are supposed to and didn't curl up or spasm. I walked into Kroger without having to use a shopping cart to hold on to and low and behold once I was back in the parking lot, I decided that I felt good enough to actually return the cart to the cart receptacle and walk back on my own! Now all of you who dislike when people leave carts in the parking spaces should be happy! I walked in/around/out of Walgreens without having to use a cart. It's little to most, but HUGE to me. I don't boast just to boast though. God's doing this. He may be using the deep brain stimulation to help, but I know that He's behind every firm step I take, every confident stride I make. All glory goes to Him. And even when I'm having a not-so-great walking day, I'll still praise Him. He knows I learn better when I'm on my knees anyway. ;) I have good and bad days, just like we all do, but when I have extra good days, I want all to know who gives them to me: God. When I have extra bad days, I want all to know who gets me through them: God. Sure, there were times this past week when I wasn't so steady on my feet and there were other times when my confidence waned, but God kept me from falling!

One quick story from last Wednesday night: I was at church and I was walking from where our mailboxes are to the sanctuary (for those that go to my church and know the path I'm speaking of). I was doing "really well" and then I looked up and saw someone watching me and fear took over and I instantly felt the need to stiffen up. I shouted playfully "Are you watching me walk?". He said yes he was and he was marveling at how well I was doing. As soon as I knew someone was watching me though, I got stage fright and wasn't as steady on my feet as I had been moments earlier. It's just another "issue" I'm working on overcoming!

It's an ongoing thing, this walking of mine, but I am confident that God will continue His work in me both physically, emotionally and spiritually.

To God be the Glory because after all - God's Got This!




No comments:

Post a Comment