Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Turn-It-Up Tuesday: June 6

Relearning how to walk without a boot has proved successful, frustrating and everything in between. In everything I see how God loves and how He provides. How He protects and how He's with me every step of the way.

I almost bit the dust this morning walking into work because I got distracted by someone, BUT the good news is, I didn’t. ;) I also didn't get attacked by the rogue mockingbird that’s been dive-bombing co-workers of mine – there’s always a silver lining – haha!

My first full day boot-free was Friday. It felt so weird. I’m thankful that I “practiced” walking without it the night before because I kept thinking the ground was closer than it was. I survived a full day though on Friday without it. I did however have it in my car, just in case I needed it.

Saturday morning, I exercised on the bike. I was thrilled with my walking that morning in the house. My toes touched the ground and were straight. It’s amazing how, with straight toes, I have WAY more balance. I was so excited. But maybe I was just a little too excited. ;) I decided to turn the electricity up in my deep brain stimulation device. I went from 3.30 volts up to 4. So, I guess technically, today is not a Turn-It-Up Tuesday as I did the turning up on Saturday. ;)

It remains to be seen if I turned it up too much. Yes, I’m having a few problems, but I always have a few problems right after adjusting it. So for now, it’s on 4 volts. I ran errands all day Saturday and while the morning was great, as the day wore on, I started to fade. I wasn’t as balanced, didn’t feel as confident walking and my foot and toes hurt. I was done by 4 pm. So, I went home. I checked the mail and the compounded topical medicated cream that Dr. Gardner had prescribed for me was in the mail! It could not have been better timing. I put it on right away and it was like a miracle drug. Seriously. The lidocaine in it helped immensely. Relief!! I’m so glad he changed my mind about filling the prescription. I can apply it 2-3 times a day and the pump is regulated with the exact amount to put on. I’ve been doing it twice a day. I have to rub it in for about two minutes when applying it. It’s like giving myself a mini-massage every time I do it. I do it once in the morning and once right before bed. Since Saturday night, I’ve slept well. No waking up because my foot or toes ached. Money well spent on that prescription!

My foot and toes are still swollen.

I had to go through several sets of shoes to find some that fit. It’s funny, usually I pick my shoes by what I want to wear. But now I pick my wardrobe by what matches my shoes. Since the boot is black, I wore clothes that matched black shoes. Now, the only shoe I can fit into is tan, so my wardrobe matches tan shoes.

Sunday was not the best walking day, but I got by with a little help from my friends (and family). I did OK walking up to Communion and back from it. I didn’t trip or fall into anyone. And yes, once, when Pastor Mark was still our associate pastor, I tripped and fell into him during Communion. He’s got cat-like reflexes though because he caught me with one hand and balanced the Communion wafers with the other!

Yesterday, wasn’t the best walking day either, but again, at the end of the day, I marveled at how I didn’t once fall. God provides all the time.

Yes, the past week had great days and not-so-great days, but isn't that life?! Even with frustrations, it simply amazes me that I am NOT walking with a cane or a walker anymore. Sometimes, I just have to stop and remember that. I am exceedingly blessed. God's Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment