Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 - What a Year!!

It's New Year's Eve 2016 - how in the world did that happen?! I truly believe (as my mom and dad would tell me when I was a kid) that the older I get, the faster the years fly by. Sure, some of the days in 2016 were long, but the year was definitely short (even though, technically, it was long because we got one more day - leap day!). It concerns me greatly to see all these people posting on Facebook that they want this year to be over (and I'm sorry if you're one of them!). Yes, this year was full of loss and pain, difficulty, sorrow and sin and times you might not want to remember, but every day is a gift from God. Even the days you'd rather not think about again. Every day you wake up and you're breathing - that's God's gift to you. This year more than ever, I've come to realize the ordinary, yet at the same time extraordinary, gifts God lavishes on me every day. As my dad says, "Have you ever thanked the Lord for gravity?!" If not, thank Him today. :)

If 2016 never happened then I never would have gotten to experience these things:

- I would have never gotten to have deep brain stimulation surgery. It's changed my life in a beautiful (if somewhat messy at times) way. I will be eternally grateful for it.
- I would have never gotten to meet Dr. Konrad (the coolest neurosurgeon ever), Dr. Tolleson (my Nashville neurologist who is MY AGE), Dr. Issacs, whom I learned was the doctor that was asking me all the questions during my surgery and was the one who initially activated the deep brain stimulation device, and all the other amazing doctors and nurses at Vanderbilt. And yes, I do consider it a privilege and an honor to know them all. I am finally using their real names (and I hope they don't mind) because I don't want to forget them and I want to give them credit for being such awesome doctors.
- I would have never gotten to experience joy and happiness like I have this year. The deep brain stimulation surgeries didn't harden me, they actually gave me hope and that hope turned to joy.
- I would have never experienced my Mom holding my hand during the night I stayed in the hospital after the deep brain stimulation. I had never experienced pain that excruciating. It gave new meaning to "splitting head." After getting the nurse to up my pain meds and getting me saltine crackers, just my Mom's hand grabbing my hand in the darkness of the night brought comfort no drug could ever bring. I'll treasure that moment the rest of my life.
- I would have never experienced the JOY that came after my dad asked me to grab his hand and I could actually grab his hand. It had been awhile. The joy on his face when I did it will be something I'll treasure forever.
- I would have never gotten to go to Chattanooga for my sister-in-law's baby shower and I still had my REAL hair. :)
- I would have never gotten to experience being COMPLETELY bald-headed and what an experience that was! I had ALL kinds of emotions with that. How many people get to start ALL over again with hair growth?! Carrie (my friend who shaved it all off for me) made the experience so much fun. Secrets were told, tears were shed and smiles crept in. And now in the 10th month of hair growth, it's slowly but surely coming back in. I've gained confidence in the experience. It's one I didn't want to have, but it sure has been an unexpected blessing.
- I would never have experienced wig shopping with Mom and what fun that actually was!
- I would never have gotten to see "Miracles From Heaven", or "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" in the theater with Mom.
- I would never have had trips back and forth to Nashville with Mom.
- I would never have gotten to see the theatre plays: "Church Basement Ladies" with Mom, Tina and Kristen, "South Pacific" with Mom, "Southern Fried Nuptials" with Mom, "Mamma Mia" with Mom and Dad, "Train to Nibroc" with Mom and Dad, "A Christmas Carol" with Mom, Dad and Oma and "Junie B in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" with Mom.
- I would never have gotten to stay with Mom and Dad for a month :)
- I would never have experienced something being taken away and then slowly given back.
- I would never have experienced the selfless love of co-workers who picked up my work and tirelessly worked their magic to keep things running smoothly despite taking on double the tasks.
- I would never have experienced the pure JOY of playing with my nieces.
- I would never have had lunch at Tina's with my Mom.
- I would never have gotten to go to another fabulous Easter Festival at church.
- I would never have gotten to go to dinner with Dale, Carrie, Anna and Halle Tucker and have them come to church for Easter services.
- I would never have gotten to see my church's mortgage burning ceremony on April 10.
- I would never have gotten to celebrate my sweet niece, Hope Adeline, born on April 11.
- I would never have gotten to meet my niece, Hope, for the first time on April 16.
- I would never have gotten to go out to eat on Sunday afternoons with Mom, Dad, Stuart, Annie, Genevieve, Stanton, Aubrey and Hope to places like China Lee, Rosatina's, Lotus Garden and other places.
- I would never have experienced the undeniable excitement and joy of feeling signs of electricity in my toes for the first time on April 27.
- I would never have gotten to see my brother, Steven turn 25 on May 13.
- I would never have gotten to see Jim, Judy and Allyson Reed or Doris Higgins on May 14.
- I would never have gotten to go to Alaiah Miller's college graduation party (or see her family) on May 14.
- I would never have gotten to see my "Aunt" Kim Star-Voss and "Uncle" Barry Voss on May 15. They are my godparents.
- I would never have gotten to see my Mom and Dad go on a European cruise to France.
- I would never have gotten to go to The Cove and Soccer Taco with Stuart, Annie and Genevieve on Memorial Day.
- I would never have gotten to see cousins (my nieces) meet for the first time on May 31. That was absolutely priceless.
- I would never have gotten to see my brother, Stanton, sister-in-law, Aubrey and niece Hope become homeowners for the first time on June 1.
- I would never have gotten to babysit my niece Genevieve so many times.
- I would never have seen my paternal grandmother, MeMaw, turn 90 on June 10.
- I would never have seen my parents celebrate their 39th anniversary on June 11.
- I would never have gotten to see my brother Stanton turn 29 on the same day I turned 36 on June 12.
- I would never have gotten to see my brother Stuart turn 33 on June 16.
- I would never have heard the words that my brother, Stanton, spoke on June 18: "Aubrey and I would be honored if you would be Hope's godmother along with Anna (Aubrey's sister)."
- I would never have gotten to be excited for my brother, Stanton who worked his last night of residency on June 23 and graduated from residency on June 24.
- I would never have gotten to go the wedding of Taylor Howe on June 25.
- I would never have gotten to experience the joy I felt when Stanton, Aubrey and Hope moved to Knoxville (from Chattanooga) on June 29.
- I would never have gotten to be so proud of my brother, Stanton, when he became an ER doctor.
- I would never have gotten to go to Genevieve's 2nd birthday party on her actual birthday, July 2. She had a "Paw Patrol" themed party and LOVED every minute of it!
- I would never have gotten to see my Mom and Dad buy a new car or my brother, Steven by a new-to-him car.
- I would never have gotten to experience Hope's baptism on July 3 and becoming a godmother for the very first time.
- I would never have seen Hope in MY baptismal gown. She wasn't actually baptized in it, but she wore it to the "after-party" that day.
- I would never have experienced all the "firsts" that happened in regard to my walking. There are almost too many to write. ;) The first was when I walked around work with just a cane and not a walker on July 6. Then I walked into work with no walker on July 7.
- I would never have gotten the courage to ditch the wig and go au natural with MY hair - though it be short. ;)
- I would never have gotten closer to a friend I met in church who has her own "brain issues". Kristen and I are SO DIFFERENT in many ways and yet SO ALIKE in other ways. Her friendship has meant the world to me this year!
- I would never have gotten to go to Brad and Samantha's baby gender-reveal party on July 15. It was revealed that they were having twin girls. :) :) Those girls, Brooklyn and Blakely, arrived on December 20.
- I would never have gotten to experience tubing on the lake for the very first time on July 17. It has become my absolute favorite!!
- I would never have gotten to celebrate my maternal grandmother's 90th birthday on July 21 and her big celebration party on July 23 with the family (aunts, uncles, cousins...just missing my brother Steven) and friends at Whitestone Inn.
- I would never have experienced the pure innocence of my niece, Genevieve exclaiming (after seeing me the first time without my wig), "Hair! Pretty!! Can I touch?!" She finally has someone (again) that has hair like hers. :)
- I would never have gotten to celebrate my Dad's 63 birthday on his actual birthday (August 3) at Rafferty's restaurant with my mom, Stuart, Annie, Stanton, Aubrey and Hope.
- I would never have gotten to celebrate my Mom's 62nd birthday on her actual birthday (August 22) at Lakeside Tavern restaurant with the same crew that celebrated with my dad, plus Oma.
- I would never have gotten to celebrate Aubrey's 29th birthday on August 26.
- I would never have gotten to speak at the University of Tennessee to a dietician's class. That was unexpected, but extremely fun!!
- I would never have experienced the pure joy of walking into and out of work with only a cane on September 13!
- I would never have gotten to celebrate Annie's 30th birthday.
- I would never have gotten to drive the lawnmower train at my church's fall festival. It's my absolute favorite thing to do at the fall festival!
- I would never have tried climbing the climbing wall at the church's fall festival.
- I would never have gotten to take Genevieve to the Little Ponderosa zoo where she got to feed all the animals. Her face was priceless. We had so much fun - just me and her.
- I would never have ridden a motorcycle for the very first time on October 15. What an absolute thrill. I love riding motorcycles now. :)
- I would never have gotten to experience "Boo at the Zoo" with BOTH of my nieces who dressed as Everest (from Paw Patrol - that was Genevieve) and a little lamb (Hope).
- I would never have gotten to ride a camel with my niece, Genevieve!! I will remember that moment for the rest of my life!!
- I would never have gotten to go to small group Bible Study at Brian and Whitney's house.
- I would never have gotten to go to "Trunk or Treat" at church and see all the kids dressed up. The best costume hands-down in my book, was the mom and dad who dressed their baby girl up as a Cabbage Patch doll and made her stroller look like the box that the cabbage patch dolls come in.
- I would never have gotten to have Genevieve spend the night with me.
- I would never have gotten to take Genevieve to see Santa, although she was absolutely terrified of him. ;)
- I would never have gotten to have a day with Genevieve in Cades Cove.
- I would never have gotten to watch Hope while Aubrey practiced for the worship team at church.
- I would never have gotten to take a trip to Huntsville, AL with my mom to see Dolly Parton in concert on November 16. We had so much fun and made memories to last a life time!
- I would never have gotten to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family that included extended family: my Uncle Chris and Aunt Edith, my cousins, Markus and Lukas and my Uncle Danny.
- I would never have gotten to taste test the pumpkin pie that my Mom accidentally forgot to put sugar in - haha. It was GROSS, but thankfully, she had 3 other pies that DID have sugar in them.
- I would never have gotten to go Black Friday shopping (but thankfully for us, it was in the afternoon!) with my mom and Aunt Edith.
- I would never have been able to use my brand-new yellow umbrella.
- I would never have gotten to go to my work's Christmas party and win fountain glasses. I also got to experience the pure joy of snap bracelets. It's the little things!
- I would never have gotten to go to the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra's Christmas concert with the family.
- I would never have gotten to see the hilarity of the "Psalty's Christmas Calamity" play put on by the children of my church. Pastor Mark gets big props for playing Psalty and even singing!!
- I would never have gotten to see Hope at her first Christmas Eve service holding the battery-operated candle.
- I would never have gotten to experience Genevieve running up to me on Christmas Eve and exclaiming, "I got to go home. Santa's coming!! Santa's coming!!"
- I would never have gotten to experience the pure joy and boundless excitement that Christmas spent with Genevieve and Hope and all my family brought. It was truly magical and special and a day I will treasure in my heart.
- I would never have gotten to go over to Stanton and Aubrey's house with the rest of the family for dinner.
- I would never have gotten to hear Genevieve say my name..."Aunt Tepanie" (she's working on it, but she is SO cute saying it the way she says it now!).
- I would never have gotten to see Hope wave and smile at me.
- I would never have gotten to experience the grace and mercy, forgiveness and love that God poured down upon me.

These are just some of the joys that I experienced this year. I am SO GLAD that 2016 happened. There are so very, very, very many things to be thankful for - both big and small. So, for those of you who want 2016 to be over, I hope you'll take at least just a minute to remember a day or a moment this past year that was simply beautiful. Thank the Lord that you are breathing, that you are walking, talking, using your brain, loving and living.

In my book, 2016 was awesome. I thank the Lord for this past year and I look forward to what God will continue to do in my life in 2017. It's a wild ride we are all on - it's this thing called life. ;) It's unpredictable, messy, hurtful, filled with disappointments and sorrow, but it's also fun, unexpected, joyful and beautiful. Life is a gift. Open it and watch it bloom. I hope that each one of you reading this is filled with God's love. May your 2017 be blessed mightily and always remember...GOD'S GOT THIS!! To Him be praise and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment