Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Turn-It-Up Tuesday: November 22

My birthday was back in June, but the fulfillment of one of my birthday gifts happened this past week: I saw Dolly Parton in concert! The irony of it all is that while I live 45 minutes away from Pigeon Forge and Sevierville where Dolly is from, I went back to the state in which I was born (Alabama) to see her. Her Pigeon Forge concert sold out in probably mere minutes, so my mom and I took a road trip to Huntsville. As my mom commented it was my first “walker-free” road trip. A lot can change in 7 months.

Dolly was superb. Mom and I had so much fun. We had great seats and I didn’t fall once. While I did hang on to Mom while walking, it was mostly so we could go fast. I am still exceedingly slow and methodical, but holding on to Mom made me speed up. :)


Mom and I stayed at a hotel that was less than a mile away from the venue in which Dolly was performing at. We found out that there was a shuttle service to and from the concert, so we took advantage of that and it turned out to be awesome. We were let off right in front of the door and picked up at the same spot. We didn’t have to fight for or pay for parking. I found it amusing that I recognized and actually somewhat enjoyed the “perks” of walking with a cane. When people see you coming, they immediately part the Red Sea for you – ha!

Dolly, Dolly, Dolly….what can I say?! She was amazing, genuine, funny, at home, the consummate performer. Her voice was beautiful. I am so blessed and thankful that I got to see her. As Mom put it, “We have to see her before she either retires or dies.” I mean she is 70…so retirement may be soon. ;)


Mom and I had a wonderful stay at our hotel. We slept in and then ate breakfast. On our way back to Tennessee we stopped at Ollie’s discount store. Neither one of us had ever been in one. It was awesome. We spent quite a few hours in there. ;) The reason I bring Ollie’s up is two things happened there. One, I bought an umbrella!! OK, I know this isn’t breaking news, but I have not had an umbrella in 11 years, so it is kind of breaking news for me. I haven’t been able to carry an umbrella - much less use one - while using a walker. I’ve been contemplating buying one for the last few months, however I wanted a YELLOW one because it can quickly be identified in a sea of black umbrellas and because I wanted a cheerful color to brighten a rainy day. I had been looking for a yellow umbrella, but had not found one. That is until Ollie’s. I found and bought my yellow umbrella! Now, I just can’t wait to use it.


The second thing that happened at Ollie’s was that I bought some candles. But being the clumsy person I am, as soon as I got to the car, I promptly dropped them and they shattered. By this time, my legs were starting to get tired. But, I had to walk back in the store and tell the clerk what had happened. I was completely willing to pay for new ones, but she was super nice and didn’t charge me at all. I got to pick new ones out. I think it did help somewhat to be walking with a cane. ;) She made sure to bundle my new candles up so I wouldn’t have any more accidents and thankfully, I didn’t.

Mom and I had great conversation in the car and throughout the entire trip. I am so incredibly thankful for this gift of time with her and making memories.

I turned up the electricity in my DBS device again today by .10. I am still curling my toes under.


One of these days though, one of these days, I’m going to write a post and be able to proclaim success. What am I saying?! I’ve already had success! I mean, all I have to do is look back to last year and see that I’ve had success. Thank you, Jesus! I do have faith though that I will continue to see success. God’s priming me for something big. Maybe that something big is already taking place and I’m just not aware of it yet, but I know, without a shadow of a doubt that God’s plan is a million times better than anything I could ever even dream or imagine. I didn’t fall once this past week. I got everywhere I needed to go without using a walker. God’s working and I see it. Life isn’t perfect, but God is. He knows what He’s doing. I rest in that. God’s Got This!



No comments:

Post a Comment