Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Turn-It-Up Tuesday: April 26

It's Turn-It-Up-Tuesday again and I have FINALLY gotten up to 2.50 volts!! I don't know why this excites me as much as it does. Next week will be 2.60 and so on. I guess just getting to two and half is a milestone (although I don't know what milestone it is!). I'm just happy to be at 2.50.

Talk about a snail’s pace this process is!! On Sunday, my dad asked me how many weeks this makes that I've had the device turned on and that I've upped the electricity in it. I told him four. Four weeks. It’s been 1 month. So, why was I thinking that it was getting closer to 3 months? I was getting really discouraged. Then it hit me (dare I say like a bolt of lightning?! - haha!): all this time, I had been using February 29 as my start date (for when the device was turned on and working). That was the date of my last surgery (when I had the battery installed). I didn’t get the device actually turned on though until March 29. Sheesh!!! It wasn't activated and working until March 29 NOT February 29! Yes, I truly am only 1 month in. The doctors warned that I may not see any improvement for 3-6 months. Thank you, Lord for reminding me that it’s only been 1 month!!!!

When I turned the device up this morning, I did feel a little electricity in my left pinky finger, but nothing else. Nothing in my leg or my foot. Maybe something will happen this week. Maybe! In the meantime, it's back to waiting.

Last week was, again, not one of my best weeks walking-wise. It could have been worse, so I’m not complaining. I didn’t fall, but I did have a near miss at church. Thankfully, I had my cane in one hand and Mom holding onto my arm. If I hadn’t had Mom there, I would have fallen. Thank you, Mom for catching me and keeping me upright!

I’ve had several people ask when I am going to stop wearing the wig. I really have no idea. I guess the simple answer is: when I feel like it. ;) I don’t feel comfortable enough yet to go without it. I can (and will) post a picture here on the blog, but that is definitely NOT the same as seeing someone in person without my wig.
I have had people tell me that I look good without the wig, but I myself don't care for the look. I don't feel beautiful or comfortable. My hair is growing back fast. It’s to the point now where little wisps are covering my ears and I’m getting a rat’s tale in the back. ;) I still see my scars. When they are completely covered, I may feel better about going without the wig.

I have two Audrey Hepburn framed pictures hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I see them every day, but it wasn’t until this past Sunday, that it struck me: I want to look like Audrey Hepburn with short hair. ;) Now, I’m no where near as pretty as her, but if I get my short hair to look like hers, then I think I would definitely go without the wig!!


One thing that helps when I’m feeling discouraged about not (yet!) seeing results, is to exercise. In some ways, I can’t even believe I wrote that sentence. Just a short five years ago, I wanted nothing to do with exercise, now I turn to it to lift my spirits! That’s crazy!!! I feel very, very blessed that I can still exercise. Just because I use a walker and/or cane to walk, doesn’t mean I can’t sit my butt on a stationary bike and exercise. I exercised just this morning before work and it energized me and got my endorphins going and I had that “runner’s high” that everyone talks about, but all from exercising on a bike.


As I was exercising, I was watching the news. The weather for today came on and made me smile. I am southern through and through and absolutely love warm sunny days!!!!!!!

In case you can't read what that says, it's a high of 60 at 8am, a high of 75 at noon and a high of 83 in the afternoon.
A week from today, on May 3, I head back to Vanderbilt for a check-up with my neurologist. I’d LOVE to walk in there walker and/or cane free, but these things take time. I have a feeling that next Tuesday will not be my time, but who knows, God is in the business of miracles! I'm kind of scared that Dr. T. will tell me that I've been adjusting the device wrong. I wonder if he will increase anything in regards to the electricity in the device. I’m on a level 2 right now. The device can either go up to 4 or down to 1. It's within those parameters that I can do adjusting (the .10…).

I have the YouVerse Bible App on my phone and I just looked at the verse of the day. God sure has a sense of humor for this is what it is: "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9
Thank you, God for the reminder!
And also for this one:
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalms 46:10

I am still extremely excited to see what God's going to do next. It's an adventure and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment