Saturday, March 12, 2016

The In-Between Time

I haven't updated the blog since the day after my last surgery, so I thought it was time to do so. I've titled this post "The In-Between Time" because that's exactly what it is. It's in-between surgeries and getting the device turned on and going back to work. This might sound kind of strange, but I really can't wait to get back to work. I seriously love my job and love the people I work with. I miss both terribly! However, I know it's still not time to go back. I hoped to go back on March 16, however, my hand is still not 100%. Although it's much improved, to have to type for 8 hours - well, I can't do it yet. My new goal is going to be March 21. The surgeon (and my insurance company and work) approved me to go back on April 1, but I like doing things early, so I'll shoot for March 21. :)

Here's what's been going on in the in-between:

While staying at my parents, I got to take advantage of their handicap accessible shower. They had it installed because as they say, they're getting older and they may need it some day. It was wonderful to have and use! Thank you, Mom and Dad.

Every night Mom would wrap my hand up in the splint that I was given.

Friday, March 4 was the first time I put on real clothes (not pajamas!) and makeup since my surgeries. My friend, Kristen came and visited with me. I left my wig off, but she was cool with it. She said I had a nicely shaped head. It was so great to visit with her. She and I can commiserate together because she's had brain surgery too. She doesn't have the same condition that I do and her surgery was done through her nose, so she didn't have to lose her hair (no fair!), but she knows about brain surgery and recovering from it. She brought presents too!
She also gave me this because I posted on Facebook that I had eaten peach oatmeal and it was better than filet minion. :)

I made my first public appearance (except to drive back and forth to Vanderbilt) on Saturday, March 5. The occasion was The Parade of Tables event at church. I'll tell you, it was exhausting, but fun! I showed off my wig and it was great to get out of the house. I made my Sunday church debut the next day. Let me tell you, I had been CRAVING church. I missed it so much. The people of my church are the best and I couldn't wait to see and worship the Lord with all of them.

Monday, March 7 I drove for the first time. It was only from my parent's house to my house (which is only 1.2 miles), but I drove! I drove to my house because not only was I craving to go to church, I was also CRAVING exercise. I didn't have any restrictions on exercising, but I didn't feel up to it until then. It was exactly 2 weeks since my last work-out. Some might be surprised that I do actually exercise, but, alas, it's true - I do! I ride a stationary bike. I remember a former co-worker (upon learning that I work-out) saying to me that she now had no excuse not to work out. If I could do it, so could she. That was an incredible compliment to me and it's stuck with me. Thank you, Liz! So, I worked out and it was by no means my best, but it was still wonderful! Those endorphins are awesome! I drove back to my parent's house afterwards. After I got back to their house, my niece, "Little G", came over. She ran into the house holding a gift bag. I thought it was for Mom, but she flew right past Mom and handed it to me. This is the sweet present and card she gave me:
I love that girl! After she left, I spent one more night with my parents. They have been amazing throughout this whole experience and I thank God for them!

Tuesday, March 8 I had an eye appointment and another doctor's appointment. Mom offered to drive, since I didn't know if I'd be able to see to get to my next appointment. It turns out this is the one time my eye doctor didn't dilate my eyes! Thankfully, my eyes didn't change from last year's check-up. One interesting fact is that without my contacts in or glasses on, my left eye is better than my right eye, but once my contacts are in (or glasses on), my right eye is better than my left. I'm not even going to begin to figure that one out! I spent a fun afternoon with Mom shopping. Dad moved all my suitcases and presents to my house and I spent the night for the first time at my house.

Wednesday, March 9 I went to the dentist. I wasn't supposed to go until March 23, but I figured since I was off of work on medical leave, I'd see if I could get in earlier and it turned out, I could. The report was no cavities! After the dentist, I went to see my nutritionist. It was there that I learned that in the past month I had lost 5 pounds. Oops. I blame it on the throwing up I did. :) After meeting with her, I came home to get my Internet installed. Yes, after 13 months of not having cable and Internet access at the house, I decided to sign up for Internet again. There was no reason that I got rid of cable and the Internet except for the fact that the price I was paying for both was ridiculous and I was fed up with it! I saved a chunk of change by getting rid of it for a year and I don't regret it at all. But, I missed not having the Internet or wifi and I got a great introductory rate, so I have Internet and wifi access again at the house and it's AWESOME!!! I still am without cable. I realized that I don't watch many shows that aren't on network TV, so I'm completely fine just using an antenna. Now that I have Internet access, I can watch stuff online too.

Since the surgery(s), I've found out that I can not wear a seatbelt (on the driver's side) without it irritating me. The battery pace-maker-like device, is right there under my collar bone and the seat belt hits right where it is. I've been told though that this does get better. Right now, my incision is still healing and that's why it's uncomfortable. I've also noticed that even though Dr. K. said he would try to hide the device under a muscle, it still protrudes a lot. I can't tell you if I'm self-conscious about that or not yet because I haven't made up my mind! I've noticed that several of my shirts don't quite come up far enough to NOT show my incision or the Band-Aid I have over it to cushion it from rubbing up against my clothes, but I think once it heals, I won't be so embarrassed by it. I'd rather have that and be able to walk without assistance, then not have it and have to walk with a walker or a cane. I can't really sleep on my left side either because of the battery and also because of the incisions in my head. It's still too uncomfortable, but I know too that this will eventually go away. My hand is getting better. It's still not 100% back to normal, but it's 1,000 times better than what it was. I was scared out of my mind that I would never regain function of it, but literally from one day to the next it made massive improvements! I can now grip, move my hand and fingers, open and close my hand. Not everything is automatic again though. I am constantly dropping things. Just today, I dropped my car keys twice. I also dropped paperwork and cards on my way to put them away in my home office.

I have been blessed with so many (very thoughtful) gifts.


My grandmother bought me my favorite flowers.:

After my first surgery, Mom bought me this scarf which I love!!:

Dad put me in the bulletin (because after all, he's the pastor and can do that!):

My friends Carrie and Brennan gave me 5 different sized and different textured balls because they heard that squeezing, holding, rolling balls in my hand were great therapy. They also gave me "round" candy to go with the round balls! I love it, but more than I love the gift, I love them. Thank you for being so thoughtful!!

This is me working with 4 of the balls.:

I got this present in the mail from a couple at church. Thank you, Joe and Nancy!:


My friend, Cai, from church gave me a wonderful gift. She made me the hat! She knows I love camels. She said she gave me the lipstick to cheer me up on down days and she asked what I was craving. When I said anything spicy, she delivered!:
As you can see, I've already dived into the spicy Cheetos. :)

I also got Russell Stover chocolates from church friends Bob and Gail, but I left the tin at Mom and Dad's so I didn't get a picture of it. Believe me though, they were good chocolates! :)

I also have gotten cards too numerous to count. OK, that's not entirely true - I could count them, but take my word - there are a lot. Each one meant so much to me. Thank you, thank you to those who sent them!

Thank you to everyone who has and is continuing to walk this journey with me. I've been overwhelmed with love and I can't say thank you enough. The next step is March 29, when I go back to Vanderbilt to have the device turned on. I'll also get a CT scan of my brain and I have a follow-up surgery appointment so they can make sure all my incisions are healing properly. Oh and I almost forgot - my hair is growing back fast!!! Yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment