Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My DBS Process Told in Pictures

The storage on my phone is almost completely filled, so I decided to transfer all my pictures and video to a jump drive. In the process of doing that, I realized I had a ton of pictures from my deep brain stimulation adventure that I hadn't shared. There is a reason that I didn't share them - some of them are the most unflattering pictures of my life!!! But then again, the process of deep brain stimulation, the hospital, having three surgeries in three weeks and recovering from everything is the farthest thing from flattering. I tried not to repeat any pictures that I had already shared in other posts. I decided early on in blogging about everything that I would document the good, the bad and the ugly. So, believe me when I say that some of the pictures in this post are most definitely the ugly! Ha. :) Here you go...enjoy!
 

The wig I ended up with.

One of the last pictures with my own hair - Ash Wednesday
This was at my sister-in-law's baby shower 3 days before my first surgery. This is a figurine the hostess had of a surgeon (her husband is a doctor.) I thought it appropriate!
I thought I'd never share this, but what the heck! It is what it is. :) Clean shaven and ready for surgery. This was Valentine's day.

This is the scar I already had from the shunt surgery back in 2008.

Two days before surgery, I fell 3 times in 1 night and this was the aftermath.

On the way to Vandy. No contacts, no make-up, no hair and I don't really care!
Vanderbilt

The aftermath of surgery #1: screw placement
The aftermath of surgery #1: screw placement
The aftermath of surgery #1: screw placement
I especially like the "We will wake you up." part!
The BIG surgery

Reading "the rules"
View from my pre-op bed...let's get this party started already!
Found this group text on my phone that my mom had sent a few friends.

The damage done after surgery #2
The WORST picture of me, but the surgeon warned that the swelling would descend and descend it did!

Flowers from my grandmother

Can I get an Amen?
Mom and I each took a friend (to say thank you!)  to see this play. I took Kristen who's been a wonderful friend through this DBS process.
The aftermath of the 3rd surgery. That's NOT swollen. That's how big the battery is. It gets activated March 29.
Time for a haircut?! Ha!

8 comments:

  1. Love you and ALL your pictures! You are quite possibly the bravest person I know. Keep the faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hang in there girl.. You are strong like your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty you are that is obvious to everyone. We see this in the first picture of you. Then, we are honored by you to experience a view in to the beauty of your heart and soul. That is where true beauty abides. Stephanie, you are amazing as well as brave, and are helping so many people face their fears and move boldly through barricades they have erected that are keeping them from a better quality of life. I pray blessings over you for sharing your beauty and boldness. I am excitedly waiting for the healing God is working in you during this fantastic journey you are walking through right now! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for your very kind words, Betty-Lou! You are so very sweet for saying them.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

      Delete