Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Some News

Yesterday (Monday), I got a call from my doctor's office saying that they had gotten the results of the 24-hour urine test that I had done and they were faxing it to the neurologist that I saw at Vanderbilt (the one who ordered the test). I asked if they could give me the results and they couldn't. I'm not sure if it was because they didn't know how to read them or if they didn't know what the doctor was specifically testing for or if it was because of HIPPA laws, but I was going to have to wait for the results. I carried my phone around all day hoping Vanderbilt would call, but they didn't. So this morning, I begged Jesus to have them call me. Yes, I know it's a little thing, but God's in the details! And He answered my prayer!!!

Patricia (my patient coordinator at Vanderbilt) called me with news this afternoon: I don't have Wilson's disease!! And yes, as opposed to my last blog update, I am SO HAPPY that I don't have it. This actually does surprise me a little bit (that I'm happy about not having it) because of how much I actually thought that it may be the lesser of two evils. But now that I know I don't have it, I am extremely happy!! Because of this news, Dr. T. (my neurologist at Vanderbilt) approved me for the next steps in getting deep brain stimulation if that's how I want to continue. It is.

So, Patricia has to coordinate two more appointments for me. One is the motor skills appointment and she said that would last about 2 hours and the other is the cognitive psych appointment and that, she said, would last about 3 to three and half hours. She said she could break the appointments up over two days or schedule them both on the same day. Since I'm driving from Knoxville, I asked that they be on the same day. It's the kill two birds with one stone way of doing things! Plus, as you all know, I'm not very patient! She said that the goal is to get all of these tests done in time for Dr. T. to present my case to all the other neurologists in their September 4 meeting. We talked about days that I couldn't do and she said that she had to get with both of those departments and would call me back when a date is set. So that's it for now. I'm very happy that the ball is now once again rolling. It rolled several times before, but it was always stop and go.

I'll update the blog again when I have a confirmed date. Pray that I pass these tests (I really do feel like I'm in school again) if it's God's will. I take comfort in the fact that God knows all things and He knows if I'm a candidate or not for DBS. In His time everything will be laid out like He planned. If I get DBS and it works and I can walk without a walker or cane - PRAISE JESUS!! If I don't qualify for the surgery or even if I have the surgery and I still can't walk without the walker or cane, I will still PRAISE JESUS. He's daily teaching me things (even patience, although I'm a begrudging pupil on that one!). I'm in God's hands and for that, I am very thankful!

2 comments:

  1. You have such a wonderful positive outlook! Even with strong faith, that is not always easy to maintain. So kudos to you for keeping it positive! I pray that this process will be easy for you, that the results are positive and that you can continue to move forward in the process if that is God's will. Either way - you proclaim a wonderful testimony to the grace, mercy and faithfulness of our God! You are an inspiration, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete