Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Tune-In-Tuesday (But on a Wednesday): April 6, 2022

I can't seem to ever update this blog anymore on an actual Tuesday, but the titles are going to remain Tune-In-Tuesdays because I don't have the brain power to think of another name for them. ;) 

This morning, I was listening to the news while getting ready and I heard Tiger Woods say something to the effect of "Golfing's not the hard part. Walking is the hard part." And I thought to myself truer words have never been spoken! Finally, someone else thinks walking is the hard part too - ha!

Today, I got Botox. No, not in my face (where I could actually use it!), but in my leg. Now in a few weeks all the wrinkles with fall off my leg. ;) It's actually to help "paralyze" the muscle that's causing my foot to turn in. It's temporary as it only lasts about 3 months. I have tried Botox before - 17 and 11 years ago respectively - and it didn't work, but hopefully, there have been advancements in it since then and I'm cautiously optimistic that it will work this time. I also have faith in my neurologist. If he said it's worth another shot (haha, I didn't mean for that to be a pun, but it is), then I'll give it another shot. :) Seventeen years ago, I developed an antibody to one strain of Botox (discovered through a blood test). But again, it's been a long while, so maybe this time it will work. 

I know my leg is whiter than the Band-Aid - ignore that! This is where the Botox was injected.

I realized something tonight as I watched Chicago Med on TV. I realized that my neurologist is hopelessly optimistic, whether he realizes it or not and that wears off on me every so often (which I am very thankful for). I'm not an innately optimistic person. I wish I were, but my underlying tendency is to be pessimistic, no matter what I display on the outside. I need to constantly surround myself with optimistic people, so that their cheery disposition rubs off on me! Anyway, I was watching Chicago Med tonight and one of the doctors on there (Dr. Halstead for any that watch) just struck me as hopelessly optimistic about his patient and then it struck me that my neurologist is the same way. My neurologist is always thinking about what we can do next to improve my walking and it gives me hope.

I'm not usually one to be deterred by needles, but for whatever reason today when my neurologist pulled out the needle with Botox, I must have given him some kind of look of nervousness because he immediately said, "OK, let's just talk. Did you follow any of the basketball championship?" I did not in fact follow any of the basketball championship games or March Madness, but it didn't matter. It was just the distraction I needed. I did know who won the championship (yay me!). We ended up talking teams more than basketball. He roots for UNC and Georgia. I root for Tennessee and Alabama. :) He told me before the injection that I wouldn't see any results today or tomorrow or even in the next few days. It may take a week or so and it could also backfire on me and cause me even more walking problems, but we have to try, right?! He said that if it does cause my walking to be worse, he could prescribe a brace for me to wear until the effects of the Botox wear off. He also said physical therapy could help. He almost got me to commit to PT. He said, "If I prescribed it, would you do it?" and I stopped short of fully committing to it. I know I should, but...well, let's just say it's not completely off the table yet, but it's on hold. ;)  After the injection I thanked him so much for distracting me while he gave it to me. Again, I'm not sure why the needle gave me hesitation, I mean, I have had deep brain stimulation surgery, but it did and he diffused my anxiety.

So now, I wait. What's new - ha! I feel like I'm constantly in a waiting game. :) I obviously have not mastered patience, so once again, God's teaching me! So, I wait, but not without hope! Because after all... God's Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment