Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Tune-In-Tuesday: February 16, 2021

It's been 3 weeks (and a day) since my (latest) battery replacement surgery for my deep brain stimulation device and I'm feeling pretty good! The last three (out of seven) steri-strips came off my surgical scar this morning and the scar looks pretty great, if I do say so myself. In fact, I was just telling someone before the surgery that my scar had just about faded (from battery replacement surgery 2 and 1/2 years ago) and then I have to get a new one. But this one is pretty good right off the bat. I guess those internal stitches really, really work - yay!!!

I can also really feel the electricity working. I was getting a little discouraged that I was still using the walker after two weeks, but just yesterday and continuing today I'm feeling more confident in walking. It remains to be seen if the walker is a complete memory of the past, but things are looking up! One of my worries is being fearful of walking without the walker - of being dependent on the walker. This was one of my greatest fears 5 years ago after the DBS surgery and it's once again a fear. But, I've done it before (pushed past my fear and walked without the walker), so with God's help, I know I can do it again. God's got this after all, right!? Yes, yes He does! 

Mom and I went shoe shopping the other day for my brother's wedding in April. For just the little while we were there, I ended up getting a blister on my foot. I mean, who does that?! Obviously, me! I blame myself too because they came from shoes I picked out - ha! Needless to say I did not get that pair of shoes.

With each new day, I get stronger. I can absolutely, 100% tell the battery is fully charged and my DBS system is working on all cylinders once again - halleluiah!  Sometimes things need to go bad for you to realize how good you've actually got it! Thank you for the reminder, God!

I see my neurologist next Monday (February 22) and the neurosurgeon on February 25. This was not on purpose. It's my 6 month routine check-up with my neurologist and my one month post surgery check-up with the neurosurgeon. :) 

Today, I'm also celebrating the 5 year anniversary of my first surgery for DBS back on February 16, 2016. That first surgery was to get the bone markers (better way of describing them then screws - which they actually were) placed to hold my head in place for the "big" surgery the following week. For those of you who may be new around here and want to read what I wrote about that day and that surgery, you can do so here: It is Not Brain Surgery!: 1 Down, 2 To Go

For me, it was fun to go back and re-read about that day. There are many things I remember and so many more things that I forgot about! Here's a photo from back then of the screws in my head. They did not remain there. They were removed after the big, awake surgery was done.

There were two in the front of my skull and two in the back.

Here's the custom 3-D designed "helmet" that those bone markers were attached to. I got to keep this as a souvenir, since it was designed specifically to fit my head. 

What should I do to celebrate today? I'm definitely NOT shaving my head. Maybe, I'll just enjoy having long hair again. I'll enjoy feeling (more) stable again. I'll praise Jesus that I'm five years out (from the initial DBS surgeries) and almost one month out (from the latest battery replacement surgery) and for all the sweet mercies He and He alone has provided. I'm feeling incredibly blessed and so very joyful.

Me, from two days ago on Valentine's Day 2021

 God's Got This - Yes, He does!

No comments:

Post a Comment