Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Tune-In-Tuesday: January 19, 2021

It's been a hectic two weeks since I last updated. I had my pre-anesthesia testing done on January 13. That took awhile. I pre-registered for the DBS battery replacement surgery that will take place on January 25. I got all the paperwork and financial and insurance stuff done. Then I moved over to the medical side of it which was just really answering a bunch a questions. I did get weighed (I really dislike that part!). They took my blood pressure and it was 190/80. WHAT?! They knew that wasn't right, so we waited a few minutes and they took it again and it was 125/80 - MUCH better!!! I'm telling you - that white coat syndrome is real (although in this case, there were no doctors and no white coats, just a nurse in scrubs). They also wanted to do an EKG but I can't get one done because my DBS system messes with it. I found this out by mistake when I had my first DBS battery replacement done in 2018. They did do one then (or tried to do one) and it came out with a starburst on the screen and NO results. :) So I reminded them of that and we had to skip the EKG again. Once I was done with all the pre-anesthesia stuff, I called my primary care doctor who also happens to be located at the hospital. I had to have blood drawn before a scheduled appointment with him. Thankfully, they could fit me in, so I went over to his office and had that done. I got to my car at 4:45pm. I'd been at the hospital for an hour and 45 minutes!

 Today, I had a return visit to my primary care doctor to check my sodium levels. Back in October during a routine physical he found that my sodium level was dangerously low. Normal is between 135-145 and mine was 129. So, he had me start eating more salt. Yes, he actually told me to eat MORE salt. Today, he told me that my levels were good. They were at 137. BUT, he also told me to keep eating all the salt I had been eating since October. He put it down on paper too, by writing me a "prescription" in which he said "Stephanie is on a high sodium (salt) diet." He signed it and everything! HAHAHA. I'm the one who requested a "prescription" for this lest anyone ask why I'm adding so much salt to things. I don't eat a lot of salt to begin with (duh!), so having to remember to add salt/eat salt has been a bit of a challenge for me. He also listened to my heart, which made me feel better about not getting the EKG with the pre-testing and declared that I was good to go for surgery on Monday. 

Side note here: I told my primary care doctor he's the one that jinxed me. He asked me back in October if I had had any surgeries in 2020 and I told him "For once, NO!" And then came December and I found out the battery in my DBS device needs to  be replaced and to do that I need surgery. See - he jinxed me!  At the end of today's appointment he apologized for jinxing me and wished me well with the surgery. All is forgiven. ;) 

Friday, I have to have a COVID test done. It's mandatory before surgery.

And that's it. You should be caught up on everything now. 

Thank you for reading and following along. May you have a blessed rest of your week and always remember.... God's God This! 

No comments:

Post a Comment