Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Tune-In Tuesday (but on a Wednesday): June 10, 2020

It's been a hot minute since I've updated this blog. My last post was on March 29 - oops! That was partly on purpose and partly me just being lazy. I kind of felt like a broken record and felt that people were getting tired of reading the same thing - ha. I was getting tired of my own blog, so I can only imagine how you, the reader, was feeling!

Today, I have an update. I had my "routine" neurology appointment yesterday (June 9). I started to update this blog last night, but got bored. My attention span was that of a gnat and other things intrigued me more then updating this blog. And by other things, I mean TV and not being on my computer (just being honest).

I was supposed to have this appointment back in January but it had to be rescheduled as my doctor was out of the office. This was the first available appointment. What can I say, he's a popular guy.

At the beginning of quarantine (BTW...still haven't learned how to spell that correctly!) and work from home (which started for me on March 13) I fell a couple of times, but eventually things started to get better. I think that's partly because I only have to walk steps from my bed to my office, so there's hardly any room to fall (but, in true Stephanie fashion, if there's a way, I'll do it!). I did fall last month while holding on to my brother. It takes talent to do that people. I'm not including this to embarrass my brother for not catching me (in his defense we were walking along just fine and then I wasn't! He didn't have time!); I'm including it because ya'll, I'm THAT talented!!! I wasn't/ am not walking that great but it hasn't really been a problem because I haven't had to walk much!

So yesterday, I had my appointment. It was a little weird just because of COVID-19. I had to wear a mask (duh!). I got my temperature taken as soon as I stepped foot in the door. It must have been normal as they let me all the way in. :) At the check-in window, I paid my co-pay and had to sign the receipt. I used a pen and after I was done they told me to put it in a basket different from where I got it, so they could sanitize it later. There were signs on a lot of the chairs saying not to sit there to keep a social distance from one another. Thankfully, I had an 8am appointment and was the only one in the waiting room. I thought that, since it's my birthday in a few days, as a gift, I could skip the weigh-in - no such luck! ;) When I saw Dr. T. he was wearing a mask, there was no shaking hands and he immediately sanitized his hands. It was great to see him. The first thing out of his mouth (after saying hi) was, "My wife met one of your family members, but I can't remember who right now." It was my sister-in-law. She had told me she met my doctor's wife. It truly is a small world. Anyway, the appointment went well overall. The only "bad" news was that he said I may have to have the battery replaced in my deep brain stimulation system in about a year to a year and half. While that may seem like it's far in the future, it's not. If I have to have it replaced within that timeline that's 2 battery replacements within 5-6 years. That means I'm going to have to have surgery every 5-6 years for the rest of my life. But - I'm not going to worry about that now. There is an option of a rechargeable battery and it seems like things are being invented every year. So we'll see. Dr. T. had a hard time at first even getting my device to connect to his system until he realized his system wasn't on. For a minute I thought, maybe my device needs to be replaced now if he's not even getting it to connect. Whew - I was glad to know that wasn't the case. He asked if I checked it (the battery) regularly. I admitted that I don't - only when I change the electricity. He suggested that I start checking it every couple of weeks or so. He watched me walk. I dislike this part of the appointment the most. I know it's why I'm there, but I dislike people watching me walk. He noticed that I was struggling. I know that I'm struggling, but the novelty of the the DBS system has worn off and I don't like "experimenting" with the settings anymore, so I tend to leave the electricity where it's at. But, he said I need to start "playing" with it again. There are many settings I can put it on. He asked me if I wanted him to increase the electricity. I told him since he was already checking it, yes! It would save me from having to do it later. Is that not the epitome of laziness on my part?! He increased the electricity by 2 volts, so now I'm at 3.30.

Dr. T. asked if I was having any pain. I'm so glad he asked because that was one of the things I was going to bring up. I've been having a lot of tenderness and discomfort (not necessarily pain) around where my battery is located. I had mentioned this to my primary care physician back in September and we thought it may be because I was sleeping on it. His medical advice was to stop sleeping on it. ;) Dr. T. examined the site and it's not infected or swollen. He couldn't feel any tightness in the wires. I told him that I first noticed the pain when I was doing yoga and just figured maybe I had pulled a muscle. He agreed with my primary care physician and said to maybe not exercise so hard and avoid yoga poses that aggravate it. So, I'm glad to hear it's nothing I need to worry about.

Last night I could tell the electricity was turned up. I had spasms in my foot. That could have been from exercising and having yoga in the same day, but I'm pretty sure it's from having the electricity turned up. I just have to power through. On the Frequency that I'm on now (A) I have 8 more volts I can go up on and 10 volts I can go down on. So we'll see how the next few weeks go. It's back to the drawing board so to speak. I know I'm not where I want to be (walking-wise), but when I think of where I've come to where I am now, I can't help but smile.

I know that in ALL things, God's Got This!

No comments:

Post a Comment