Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tune-In Tuesday: August 15

In my last post I said that I wasn’t going to do any adjusting to the electricity in my deep brain stimulation device until this week and only if need be. I lied. Or, I got impatient. Or, I'm just stubborn. You choose. But, I didn’t even make it a full 48 hours after I posted that entry when I decided I had to do something and I've been experimenting and testing all week.

The last time I saw Dr. Tolleson he programmed 3 different frequencies that he said I could play with:

Frequency A - the low level
Frequency B - the level I came in on (in case the other two frequencies that he newly set didn't work)
Frequency C - the high level

I can officially say that in one weeks time, I've "played" with all 3 frequencies. That's a far cry from my initial goal of being patient and waiting a week. Oh well! Medicine (and the science behind it) is actually an art. ;)

Thursday morning I started out on 2.80 volts of electricity on Frequency A. I went up to 3.00 volts on A. That voltage lasted all of 7 hours, when I decided to turn it down to 2.60 volts on A. That level lasted only 4 hours when I decided to turn it back to where I had it before messing with it: 2.80 volts on frequency A. During the day I tested other levels of voltage, but kept the frequency on A. Since my iPhone has the date and time of when I take pictures on it and I took pictures to remind me what level I was on, Thursday was a full circle day. It was at 6:36am that I upped it to 3.00 volts on A and it was 6:04pm when I conceded and brought it back down to 2.80 volts on A.

Thursday’s also when I fell. This time, I got hurt a little (just scraped knees). God turned it into a life lesson. I was leaving work and fell outside. I bloodied my knee and my ankle, but otherwise was unhurt. I thought I was alone when I fell, but then I heard a co-worker (whom I don’t know) ask me if there was anything he could do. I told him no. I just had to get up and carry on. Surprisingly to me, I didn’t cry. I didn’t get upset. I didn’t feel hopeless. I didn’t feel frustrated or angry. In fact, the first thing that came to my mind was, “Falling doesn’t make you special. Get up, dust yourself off and carry on. People fall all the time.” So, I got up, dusted myself off and walked to my car. I was a bloody mess by the time I got to my car, as blood was running all down my leg. (Sorry for the visual, Kristen!) I grabbed some napkins out of the glove compartment and cleaned myself off as best I could until I got home. When I got home I put an antibiotic ointment on and bandaged everything up.

Friday was a new day! God greeted me with this amazing sunrise on my way to work:


Sunday, I got up and decided yet again to play with the DBS settings. I decided I’d had enough of the low frequency, so I switched to the high frequency: C, but I set it to the lowest voltage I could go on that level: 3.70. But, even on the lowest level of the higher frequency, my hand was giving me fits. I knew I’d need my hand for work the next day, so Sunday night I’d had enough and went down to 3.00 C.

Yesterday morning when I woke up and was no better I decided to go to the lower frequency (A) again, but set it to the highest level it would allow me (3.60). I stayed on 3.60 A all day yesterday, but last night I was over it. I literally went to bed at 8:30pm because I was so exhausted both mentally and physically. I told a friend today that I think walking to and from my car at work is as much a workout for me as my actual workouts on the stationary bike. It has literally taken every ounce of strength I have both mentally and physically to get me from point A to point B.

This afternoon, I remembered that I still had Frequency B that I could try (more like go back to.) I switched frequencies AGAIN (right there at work) and am now back on Frequency B at 3.50 volts. That may even change as I think I may “play” a little more tonight with the voltage. And this my friends is why they call it “practicing medicine”. ;) There’s an art to it.


There’s a sweet spot. I had that sweet spot once. I must find that sweet spot once more.

A lot of things have been weighing on my mind these past couple of weeks. Because of this, I’ve been waking up at 3am for no good reason! The first few times it happened, I’d try to go back to sleep or I got on Facebook (I know, terrible!), but then it hit me: I should be in God’s Word. So now, when I’ve been waking at 3am, I grab the Good Book (OK, really, I grab my phone that has the Good Book on it) and dive into God’s Word. It’s brought such comfort and peace.

It's been a rough week. I get so frustrated and angry and grouchy when my walking isn't what I think it should be, but even when I'm like that, God doesn't turn His back on me. I could choose to focus on the negative (and believe me, I have done so and continue to do so at times), but when I really sit down and examine my life, all that matters is that God's Got This! And because He does, I can face tomorrow. I can fall and get back up again. I can be embarrassed and still not die from embarrassment. I can know that I'm a child of God and that He loves me with an EVERLASTING love.

No comments:

Post a Comment