Monday, May 18, 2015

MRI

Today I had an MRI of my brain done. It's not my first and it probably won't be my last. It went great (from my perspective anyway, I actually have no idea what the MRI says). After ten years and several MRIs, I guess I'm getting the hang of them.

Comparing the MRI I had done today to the very first one I had done - well, the comparison is like night and day.

First MRI: I opted to take medication to calm me down, which made me extremely groggy, but able to get through it without freaking out. I didn't know whether I was claustrophobic or not, but I did/do know that I have panic attacks, so I did NOT want to have one while getting the test done. My dad drove me home, and everything he said to me was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. I was so out of it, I couldn't figure out how to put my watch back on (which thoroughly entertained the nurse) or unlock my front door (which made Dad have to get out of the car and help me). I thought I could go back to work after having it done - ha! No way. I went straight home and fell asleep. I slept the entire afternoon away and straight through the night, only waking up in time to go to work the next day.

Today's MRI: I drove myself to get it done, and didn't take any medication to calm me down. I didn't freak out or have any panic attacks. I actually almost fell asleep! How does that happen?! The only thing keeping me from doing so was the thought that if I did fall asleep and accidentally moved, they would have to do the test all over again, so I stayed awake. I also drove myself back to work and worked a full day.

From someone who once had to have medication to get the test done, to almost falling asleep during it, I guess you can see that I've gotten pretty darn used to MRIs! For those that have never had an MRI (especially of the brain), it's an experience. They put this mask thing over your head and then send you in this tube thing (I know, my medical terminology is stellar!). Thankfully though, there's a mirror that you can look in and see the outside world, so it makes it 1,000 times less claustrophobic. It's super loud too - so much so that they give you ear plugs. It's a bunch of clicking and whirring noises. The MRI I had done today had to be done with and without contrast, which means halfway through the MRI Tech comes in and gives me an IV of contrast dye. Today's MRI only lasted about 35-40 minutes.


Now, I just wait. This is the part I HATE the most. I have to wait for the radiologist to read the MRI and then I have to wait for him/her to send the report to Dr. L. Then I have to wait for Dr. L. to make the referral to Vanderbilt for the deep brain stimulation. After that, I have to wait to see if Vanderbilt thinks I'm a good candidate. Then if they do, I have to wait for them to call me. Did I mention that I HATE waiting? But as a co-worker said today, God's in control and nothing will happen until the exact time it's supposed to happen. If you pray for me, please don't pray for patience. Because if you pray for patience, God might answer by making me wait more. :) Just pray that everything will be done in His time, and until then, I'll wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment